Czech Arts tides

Off-topics

Do you like the art installation in Brussels?

Yes, it has a good idea.
100%
Yes, I like how it looks like.
No votes
No, it's too offensive.
No votes
No, because the problems it shows are not true.
No votes

Total votes : 3

Czech Arts tides

Postby Appocalypsa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 am

It is a sad moment for czech arts scene that on the 14th January has died, I dare to say The most important and the most known czech architect, Jan Kaplický (71). He was found dead on a street in Praha Dejvice where he currently lived. The saddest thing is that on the same day his daughter was born.\
He was known especially in England, where he lived for many years and where he found the architect's company Future systems. His work was very important for the modern face of architecture as he was designing very original buildings based on natural organic shapes. From many I choose this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ilding.jpg to be a representative. (It is a shopping centre in Birmingham)\
In the last two years he was struggeling for his library concept, which was chosen as a winner in the state architectural competition for a new state library. Although he was the winner, the czech conservatism of our politics has prevented the library its constructing. Even our cunt! president said: "I am going to have my body tied to the place where the library should be constructed to prevent the build-up."\
I hope today, and not only today, the ones which took the hope to Jan Kaplický to have a piece of work in his native country, feel deepely ashamed and little bit resposible for his dead, because it was their conservatism and politics game which took the man a big piece of his life energy.\
\
On the other hand, czech EU presidency brought some opportunity to czech artists to show the world that we are not only a little country which is unable to walk on its own. David Černý, a reputable czech artists has made an installation for the EU which, in an 'art's language' displays each EU country's problem with EU integration. For sure on the diplomacy level it raised a big wave of dissatisfaction (for example Bulgaria), which, in my opinion, is only a good thing. To all of the countries, including Czech Republic: 'Face it! And then, try to do something about it.' I think the installation is a great piece of art, because art is not only about aesthetics and I hope it will have some good effect.
"Nothing remains" - A.Camus\
Appocalypsa

Re: Czech Arts tides

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 pm

This is a sad story, indeed. I'm not very much into Architecture or visual arts anyway, but, to be honest, I don't like the outside of the shopping centre in Birmingham, that you have posted. Yes, you can call me conservative \;)\ I don't want to live near those "modern", artificial (in the 70s they've builded much expensive, very ugly of that in Germany) architecture. The problem with this art is: If you write literature, music, paint etc., you can do it and nobody MUST hear it, read it or look at it. You can be an artist and sell just one book or one acetate of your first single. No prpblem with that. If you build houses, it's in everyone's view, who lives near it...I'm very intolerant with those buildings... \:|\ Many are real crimes. Near my place there are a lot of Bauhaus houses. Very artificial and very expensive. They are rotting, because nobody wants to have them t or even live in them. Ugly as hell. Sorry, just my 2 cents. \
This post is more my personal view about modern architecture than about Jan Kaplický, sorry about that, but I don't know him or his work. Just the example you posted.\
PS: Do you mean this project?\
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/Pictures/468x ... _ready.jpg\
It reminds me of an old computer game "Day of the tentacle"... \:roll:\ But I still haven't found the one in Brussels you were talking about, Appo.
Last edited by Michael on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Postby Mr.Punch » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:53 pm

For all who don`t know whats this all about: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/75296434-e243 ... 511c8.html\
\
\
Well, I like the idea and the concept,but the blue tube-frame disturbs me...no not the tubes at all (might be a symbol for the channeling between the seperate states) it`s the blue colour...reminding me on some toys from my childhood...little tubes you could stick together etc...yes, thats it...\
\
I think silver would`ve been a better choice...don`t mind. At all it shows what`s realy going on behind the mask "European Union" . It`s a farce.\
\
This Czech Artist/Architect must`ve be a friend of Friedensreich Hundertwasser http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... erhaus.jpg
Mr.Punch

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Punch, thanks for posting, now I know it. I'll stay with music and keep my comments to architecture for myself now \:D\ It might be better... \;)\
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Return to Ecstasy of Chaos