Geordie tab assistance

Re: Geordie tab assistance

Postby Mr.Punch » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:01 pm

@ LSD...

I am sorry, but

as far as I know, Geord is on D-Tuning since Revalations...by accident btw. I was never aware or heard/read him talking about differ tunings,but who knows ? He statet that he`s using a Detuner Pedal...which probably makes a Guit. sounds ....hard to tell...in combi with his rig...the double tracker units etc etc...he`s indeed VERY unique...and especially for the Revalations Stuff...

Jaz mentioned in his Book,that during the Revalations Recording Sessions,they explored a new way of musical expressions...while Jaz was trying some arabic tunes on his synth or so...Geord was tuning his Guit...and one thing came to another...finally, the whole album was recorded in the tune of Geordies by Ear tuning ...and that`s the reason,so he reports,why so many people have their difficulties to find the right tuning,not to say the chord combis...

Let me put it this way: He`s a kinda Genious...always sucking inspirations from anywhere ,and so we are! I love to be inspired by Geord and his style...but more keen to morve the tricks into my own playing.
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Mr.Punch wrote:@ LSD...

(AHHHH!!!) Geordies by Ear tuning (that tricky SOB!!!) ...and that`s the reason,so he reports,why so many people have their difficulties to find the right tuning,not to say the chord combis...

Let me put it this way: He`s a kinda Genius...always sucking inspirations from anywhere ,and so we are! I love to be inspired by Geord and his style...but more keen to move the tricks into my own playing.

Punchy...that helps alot actually. And you mention the exact dilemma I put myself in. I love that low deep dissonance yet the happy melodies of the major chords and tones he splices in.
And then of course I love Drop D...that Jerry Cantrell sound too... so, what to do? There's only so much time in the day to practice (and it's hard to stay diligent and focused to practice as it's easy to go into the grooves you love due to new things being hard) Lately, I find myself practicing a lot of open chord tunings as I like those harmonics and "ringing" out those old delta bluesman get. I get some cool sounds when I plug that sound in... SO...I'm trying to find a medium between the two to fit into my own sound. Do I practice more rock guitar, bar and power chords? Do I practice more delta blues open tunings and the variations of the minor pentatonic scale within those tunings? Open tunings generally sound happier, then again, I've found a few combinations where one can get a bit of the discord and dissonance within (SO, I need many guitars pretuned or I spend time breaking strings and restringing! Ha!) So, I say what you wrote helps alot. I just keep trying. No way to go but forward!!!! Splice it in!!!!

BTW, I like your new guitar!!! Seems like you should be able to really fly on that one.
LSDMOFRO

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 pm

....of course I love Drop D...

Erm,Dude...I don`t wanna bother you too much,but there`s a difference between DROPPED D and D- Major. Geord used to tune his Guitar (by accident) a complete step deeper during the Revelations Sessions and kept this tune ever since ( dispite the fact of Jaz` revelations towards the "Ear" tuning...probably they switched between tunes during the recording sessions. When Jaz (in his book) mentioned the ear tuning,they were obviously working on the Pandys are coming....

Well,what do you mean...to practise ? I dunno how long you`re playing guitar,but I don`t practise...I pic it up and try to explore new things by myself..incl. playing around with diff. tunings,which is great. Who said : The Guitar is an Orchestra in a wodden Box ? (Yes Geordie) and Keith used to say: Picking up a Guitar after a while,is like having Sex with a well known beauty but always in a strange new way.

The new guitar is really great. I do have my probs with the PU...it`s far too sharp...I tend to exchange it by time,cos I have to turn the Tone nearly down to 0, to come near to my Semi Accoustic Sound...tho I have the same Probs with my no name Tele... but not that extreme, PUs are very important aren`t they? Or it`s probably the tone potiometer...we`ll see.

Cheers
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:37 am

Mr.Punch wrote:....of course I love Drop D...

Erm,Dude...I don`t wanna bother you too much,but there`s a difference between DROPPED D and D- Major. Geord used to tune his Guitar (by accident) a complete step deeper during the Revelations Sessions

Cheers

NO super helpful!!! Yes, I did know there is a difference but no I did not realize this D Major tuning Geordie is in "by Geordie ear". I did not know that and that sounds super super super interesting!!!!

I've a nice app on my phone that gives me odd tunings. Now D Modal? I can't get that to sound cool at all! I haven't researched it much...

I've a blues record from the 1950's and the theme is every one on it is playing in D natural.
I suppose that has it's characteristics too. I think I tried that and couldn't get a sound I wanted or pleasant with my style.

That's the wonderment and the endlessness of the guitar. I'm self taught and still learning and created some good and bad habits.
Now I just started taking lessons by a great pro to work on some weaknesses. I asked him if playing in open tuning was sort of cheating... at least its his opinion, he staid absolutely not... standard tuning just means standard tuning. Each tuning has its own sound and own intricacies...they are just different. No, you've not patronized me and I wouldn't have thought so. I'm an eager guy and a quest for knowledge and I certainly am always learning. I really appreciate your thoughts and the education. Thanks much!!
LSDMOFRO

Previous

Return to Geordie