My Day with Geordie

My Day with Geordie

Postby LSDMOFRO » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 pm

I was asked by a fellow gatherer here if I've ever met anyone from the band. So...It's memorable (to me)...and I thought I'd share:\
\
I was able to meet Geordie in 1995 and it’s a pretty great story in my book. He was such a kind man to me and my EX. spouse!\
Killing Joke cancelled venue at the last minute in Seattle, WA…from an all age theatre (Moore) to a bar called, the Rock Candy. My wife was only 20 years old. Drinking age was 21 years of age (puritanism!) . She was also about 7 or 8 months pregnant. I was devastated. I didn’t want to go to the show by myself. I was 25 at the time. But I thought…I’m going to try the backdoor of this bar. I went and knocked on the door. A huge bouncer security man opened it. I said, “where is Killing Joke?” I was supposed to meet the at the Moore Theatre, but they aren’t there? I was told they are here? ( I wasn’t really lying ; ) ) \
\
So, this large man, very skeptical, led me back to the tiny dressing room where Killing Joke was suppose to be.\
He opened the door and there was Geordie, blasting techno and dub, sitting there chain smoking, drinking vodka with grapefruit juice.\
The bouncer security guy stated, “this guy says he knows you or is supposed to meet you?” But Geordie couldn’t hear him because his music was so loud. I walked into the room, whispered in to Geordie’s ear… “I’ve been a fan since an early teen (I’m sure it helped that I was wearing a very old Malicious Damage t-shirt, almost rags!) and my wife can’t get into the show because she’s under 21…and we don’t know what to do?”\
\
He looked up at the security guard and gave him the most “fuck off look” and waived his hand, get out! Geordie then said, “ you folks can stay here until it is time for us to go on” . I then got to talk to Geordie for a couple of hours. And Geordie was so nice…offered tea, fruit, cookies, everything. What is great about it is my son is now 17 years old. And he’s an amazing guitar player. I mean, really amazing guitar player and more so rhythmically. And he loves Geordie’s playing. So, I figure, it was my son’s 1st concert…in the womb…Killing Joke! I only wish at the time I was a much more mature man because I would have probably been more interesting for Geordie as well as have much more life experience that I have now to converse and to ask questions about his beliefs, etc… \
\
About 10 minutes before they were to come on stage, Geordie said, “well, you folks should probably go, Jaz is coming…and not that he wouldn’t want to meet you…but he gets a bit uptight to say the least as well as intense before we go on…and we also have to do our prayer. I think it is very safe for your wife now (and you) to go in the audience and watch the show”. What an amazing guy! What a class act! I’ve always wanted to thank him again. I’ve always wanted to tell him it’s quite possible that my son was influenced by his music in the womb! And, I’m sure he doesn’t even remember. But he made a great impression on me. What a nice, kind man!\
\
--so, that’s my story of only meeting one member from Killing Joke. A pretty great memory in my mind. But again…I hope to meet Jaz someday…
LSDMOFRO

Re: My Day with Geordie

Postby Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:29 pm

That's a lovely story.

I met him briefly once and he wasn't all that cool but Raven was. I did a couple of dodgy remixes back in 2003 and he quite liked them. I introduced myself to him outside the venue (Academy, Liverpool) and we had a nice old chat.

Then on stage he pointed at me and mouthed 'Blucey' at me. Top chap.

I met Jaz at the same time briefly and he was nice also.

Of course they were probably all pissed as they were perma-drunk on that tour.

If I'd had any time with Geordie alone I would have asked him to show me the verses to Empire Song as I still don't understand them (it's my fave KJ joint as well).
Bluce_Ree

Re: My Day with Geordie

Postby LSDMOFRO » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:11 am

Blucey. Yeah, I missed your post. Well...I doubt Geordie would have showed me anything. The electronic was playing so loud and he easily polished off one bottle of grey goose with grapefruit juice and then had his towel boy opening another and working on making him a drink. I was astonished that he could pound the vodka and play like he was have a stroll in the summer park! I have more than 3 beers and I can't play shit on guitar. There are some that really have that muscle memory. Lemmy, Jimmy Reed, Lightning Hopkins, RL Burnside...many guys can play all juiced up.
LSDMOFRO

Return to Geordie