Geordie's Best Bridge Section

Re: Geordie's Best Bridge Section

Postby Icen Killin » Fri May 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Age of Urges, Sunset gun.........massive Riffs.......great stuff. Saw them in London playing a small place, complete with the Wobble in his armchair.
Icen Killin

Postby Icen Killin » Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 pm

shooty wrote:For me, it has to be "The Pandys are coming"\
There is a story there- the first time I heard the song was at Leicester in 81 and at that solo (ish) point in the song a bloke called the wizard stood on top of the PA and blew fire across the crowd (and probably asbestos ceiling tiles). \
You probably had to be there, but if you were it was utterly unforgettable with that repeating guitar motif and that fire!\
Their videos have in truth never been much cop but visually I have never seen anything better than that. Maybe it was the genuine possibility of the venue catching fire!!
\
\
The Wizard was a bloke called Dave. He lived on the top floor of the squat inhabited by Jaz and Alex in Royal Crescent, Holland Park 1980. He had a heavily tatooed face and went about in wizards clothes. As I remember, he had about 6 cats that never went out,smelt a bit strong. He also had a dog called Heldum.\
It's Heldum you can hear barking at the beginning of Exit at The Town House.\
Last time I saw him in the late 80s he was living in a massive derelict church in Hampstead in the middle of winter, with a pack of dogs and crows living in the rafters, shitting everywhere.\
He was sleeping on the altar and had made a makeshift fireplace on the stone floor.\
I don't know how many venues he nearly set fire to.
Icen Killin

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat May 05, 2012 4:15 am

Bulging Eyes wrote:"Whats funny is Geordie at times plays some really complicated rhythms and bridges...\
and then you see him live and it's like he's so bored, comtemplating the paint that has already dried...playing these fucking incredible \
riffs on the guitar. What a stud!"
\
\
That's why he should be rated as a top innovator. How many plank spankers just mimic or play lazy, predictable stuff? He keeps all his\
stuff within the song in such a subtle way and makes it look really easy up on the stage.\
\
Gambit - Murder Inc. reminds of Chapter III\
\
Can I mention Age of Urges- Damage Manual as probably one of my top 5 Geordie Riffage No Bridge To Speak Of tracks?
\
\
Ya know...that's so funny...cause the one time I met Geordie in Seattle...not much longer after the Murder Inc. stuff came out...\
I told him how it was brilliant...cutting edge...and an amazing inovative sound...\
He totally blew it off (not arrogantly), thought nothing of it...had a sour face and then kinda in an inner way\
chuckled at my elation at how great I thought the record was...\
\
I guess he didn't really understand to someone from this gloomy background...and let me tell you...PNW is\
god damn dreary like a Birmingham that lives in your fucking skyline with sheets of darkness and clouds \
day in and day out...but I digress...he didn't understand that that force of KJ as musicians were really\
strong chemistry wise...amazingly drunken fucking good! Chris Connelly's brilliant drunken stoner graceful\
supergrass Scottish Poet dynamite dynamic lyrics with this band were a great powerful original sound...but that's my book.\
Damage Manual stuff is good, interesting, grows on you like a top quality sand paper and you have a piece\
of wood and work to do...but I don't think they were drinking somber reality like Murder Inc.\
Same Vein as KJ with Jaz...once in a million...Bad Ass Bridges, HOT SHIT?\
Hole in the fucking WALL! \
Who cares about bridges? Mania!
LSDMOFRO

Postby Mr.Punch » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Penny Drops! Best fucking bridge so far!\
\
He who dares to contradict gets BANNED! Immediately! \:D\ \:D\ \:D\ \:D\ \:P\\
\
BTW: I`m going to move this thread to GEORDIE Section, as it is imho running out of order on here K!? \;)\
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Mr.Punch wrote:Penny Drops! Best fucking bridge so far!\
\
He who dares to contradict gets BANNED! Immediately! \:D\ \:D\ \:D\ \:D\ \:P\\
\
BTW: I`m going to move this thread to GEORDIE Section, as it is imho running out of order on here K!? \;)\
\
\
\
I was wondering why this thread was here in the 1st place... ya know...Penny Drops should be on the album. \
Colony Collaspe, to me, is the weakest track on this new record. The bridge is kinda cool...like some emergency siren\
or warning or something...but overall, sort of a weak track...sounds a bit like The Sword. I replace Penny Drops for this song.\
Then it's 10 out of 10 record. But again, I do like the bridge in colony collaspe.
LSDMOFRO

Postby billynoband » Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm

What's a bridge section?
All the best gig's have no support band and finish early. Time for bed Flowrence said Dougal.
billynoband

Postby Sapromind » Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm

billynoband wrote:What's a bridge section?
\
Since you're a musician, I'm not sure whether you're not being sarcastic, but I'll answer anyway - it's this part of a song where usually a solo occurs, but in Geordie's case there are no solos, so... did I help? \8-)\
Sapromind

Postby billynoband » Tue May 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Ah thanks, honestly I was'nt sure exactly even after reading the previous posts. Bass player you see, I switch off during our guitar solos.\
\
My fav's would be the 2 in Kings and Queens, Sun goes down, Judas Goat.\
\
As for the fire blower at Leicester, I vaguely remember that. Can't say it was the Uni or the Polytechnic but Leicester used to be big on the gig scene. Seemed to loose out once Rock City in Nottingham got going properly and the Roadmender in Northampton was dead cheap to hire but one of the Leicester venues is now open again as a 02 I hear.
All the best gig's have no support band and finish early. Time for bed Flowrence said Dougal.
billynoband

Postby anthony » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Exit, Chessboards, Night Time, Slipstream, Judas Goat, In Cythera... ......
anthony

Postby Sapromind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 pm

I seriously like the bit in Exile... not very Geordie-like, though, sounds almost like a solo. But it's great, it underlines the sad, bitter, contemplative atmosphere of the whole album.
Sapromind

PreviousNext

Return to Geordie