How to get the classic Geordie sound?

Re: How to get the classic Geordie sound?

Postby Mr.Punch » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Welcome Matey! Thanks for your contribution. A Tarpeze tail one will be appreciated..nobody needs a bigsby these days..except you`re Rockabilly..than for sure.\
\
For the Epi`s..not sure about you. Mine`s cracking balls! \8-)\
Mr.Punch

Postby opaque-views » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:52 pm

i agree, the 'Epi's are good but not 'rich' enough especially for the 'extremities' or 'pandemonium' tones.\
when i saw them on the 'pandemonium' tour, i got to shake hands with the great man himself.\
he was using both his 295 and his old les-paul through line6's DM4 & DL4 pedals into a marshall EL34-100/100 rack mount amp, then into the ADT's to the Burman Cabs.\
he also used a noise-gate pedal but i couldn't see what make it was thou.\
a great gig. \:D\ \
this is what his 'les-paul' looked like at the gig.( except it had a 'sunburst' finish!)\
Image\
\
i'm currently writing some new guitar tracks, i'll post the links when finished.
opaque-views

Postby Tabazan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:18 pm

I've gotten a great Geordie tone for our KJ tribute band using:\
\
Roland Jazz Chorus 2x12"\
Gretsch 5125 Hollowbody\
BOSS Chorus\
BOSS Turbo Overdrive\
Line 6 Echo Park\
\
I use a ton of pedals in my band so simplifying my pedal setup to play these was crucial. That and getting the delay times really close so it acts more like a volume boost and chorus.
It's not how long I live but how beautiful it is.
Tabazan

Postby opaque-views » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:20 am

Nice rig mate.\
for me the Boss pedals sound a bit to clinical. Analog stuff sounds better(just my opinion!)\
i've got a Line 6 Echo Park thou, great pedal and sounds good for the early stuff.\
just seen a photo of a 'Gretsch 5125 Hollowbody'.\
nice axe Tabazan. \:)\
opaque-views

Postby opaque-views » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:04 am

Just found this picture from 'Faust-studios'\
Image\
gotta get one of those Framus amp rigs, they look gorgeous \:)\\
& this...Image\
Enjoy \;)\
opaque-views

Postby Mr.Punch » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:57 pm

Are you sure about the Les Paul..I mean the Trapeze tail...saw them in Düsseldorf that tour and several Clips of Milenium are out there where he`s using (as in Düsseldorf of course) his - I guess his first Les Paul Special Sunburst, P90 etc etc but with stop tailpiece.\
\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZz3eei ... re=related
Mr.Punch

Postby opaque-views » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Trapeze..... Yep.\
he used it on Pssyche & whiteout. i saw them twice that year and he used it at the second show.\
the first gig he had a '295' and a rackmount fx-unit, no pedals!, not his normal amp equipment. \
the second gig was the full rig.\
2 x es-295.... a '52 & '56 (i think!)\
also had a Gibson-sg with a p-90 on his guitar tree at the side of the stage. \
great sound too..
opaque-views

Postby Mr.Punch » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Trapeze..yep? Where did you see them? In Düseldorf 1994 there was no Trapeze tail on this/his Les paul ..does it mean he added it during the tour??? I doubt, realy.\
\
And the SG Junior (dated back to 1981/82)..I met the guy in 2008 in Berlin and asked him about his SG Junior..he could hardly remember owning/playing one..I tipped his memo towards WTF/Revelations Aera..and he was.."ah, yeah, I gave it to Big Paul back then" ..but BP was`nt around 1994...they`re not even in contact then I`m sure... I must confess, I`m a bit puzzled now...
Mr.Punch

Postby Tabazan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Cheers, opaque! My lord - those Framus amps really are beautiful, aren't they? \;)\ I recently had the opportunity to buy a Burman 2x12" combo but the guy wanted more than I could spend, unfortunately. I think one reason I get a pretty good Geordie tone is the fact that my Roland Jazz Chorus amp is "of the era", meaning 80s issue. It just naturally produces tones like the early albums.\
\
I know what you mean about the BOSS pedals, they definitely can sound clinical. I use the chorus very sparingly so it's not really present and up front; the turbo overdrive is actually quite good, comparatively speaking, and has the widest range of overdrive of any BOSS pedal I've heard. Better than most they make, and now it's discontinued! The Line 6 Echo Park is so wonderful, especially with the tap tempo feature. All I play is Gretsch guitars and drums, I absolutely adore them. I just got a custom pickguard for my 5125 so I love it even more now. \
\
I wonder what rackmount FX unit he was using when you saw him, opaque - I've only seen him with a few stomp boxes up front.
It's not how long I live but how beautiful it is.
Tabazan

Postby opaque-views » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:07 pm

EMERGENCY ALERT - EMERGENCY ALERT - EMERGENCY ALERT \:o\ \:o\ \:o\ \:o\ \:o\ \:o\ \
EBAY NOW!!!@\
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&&item=320549309224&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:GB:1120\
Vintage 1952 Gibson ES-295 with original case\
ONE OF THE VERY FIRST MADE IN FIRST YEAR OF PRODUCTION.\
ONLY £4,995.00\
\
THIS THING IS BEAUTIFUL \:o\\
\
i saw killing joke at Nottingham rock city,England.( i saw Prong there too with Raven.) \
\
19 April 1994: Nottingham, Rock City\
31 January 1995: Nottingham, Rock City\
the les-paul Did look new thou, ether it was new or he really looks after it but the sg was battered...\
i haven't a clue on the 'fx unit' he was using, it looked like a line6..i'm not sure!\
\
also i bought this today\
Image\
a 'Danelectro - Metal CM-1'\
a bloody amazing overdrive/distortion pedal. get some great geordie tones from this.\
Life great - here's sports!! \:D\
Last edited by opaque-views on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
opaque-views

PreviousNext

Return to Geordie