Geordie using Marshall amps again!

Geordie using Marshall amps again!

Postby Diddyboy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:49 am

Here is the only video of the LA show that is up so far. It would appear that rather than pay to take his own Framus amps across the pond, he has (as many musicians do!) hired amps over there and is using Marshall heads (check out 4.30 onwards)! I always liked the sound he got live over here when he used to use the Marshall JMP1 pre-amp and Marshall dual mono block 100w power amps.\
\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWjqV3Hv6E
Diddyboy

Re: Geordie using Marshall amps again!

Postby billynoband » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Yea , same amp in the photos/video I saw that he used in the Pandemonium period in the USA. Are they his perhaps? Does he still live in America?\
I remember seeing Marshall amps in a couple of British shows during that period too, perhaps this was after his original vintage brit amps packed in/were stolen and before Framus / Warwick started sponsoring him and Raven.
All the best gig's have no support band and finish early. Time for bed Flowrence said Dougal.
billynoband

Postby Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:14 pm

He lives in Prague actualy.\
\
I think the Framus Amps sounding very good. Proved on the London Cds...Sharp&Fat&the Bell Sound`s kinda back..ya know, the Burman Bells...
Mr.Punch

Postby anthony » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:23 am

Maybe he'is under contract with Marshall in the US and is forced to use them there, don't know...
anthony

Postby billynoband » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm

It must be my ears because I think KJ sound very different to how they did early eighties live.\
I thought Geordie was high in the mix then and you could not hear Jaz on keys very well. Youth was there but not too much and Paul was just right. But we were teenagers and your hearing is very different then.\
Or perhaps it is the fact that (even though I don't like to knock anyones job till I have done it)\
the pa set up at all bands gigs I go to nowadays sounds like it is set up for bass and drum, ie too much bass and too much drums with the guitar buried in the mix although the KJ London gigs were much better and even very good with Geordie well in the mix. Jaz's voice was best in years I thought as he looked slim and fit. Even though I dont know my stuff about PA's it was a really good job in London.\
. Someone else used to think the same thing about Geordie being low in the mix early/mid 2000 on the old forum and he was a veteran too, one tip for anyone who thinks guitars are low in the mix is to wear ear plugs as it filters out the bass and you can hear the guitar better. I have to wear them to stop my tinnitus getting worse. Poor soul.
All the best gig's have no support band and finish early. Time for bed Flowrence said Dougal.
billynoband

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm

I totaly agree!\
It`s a kinda Virus setting in, late eighties, that the soundman use to kick D&B upfront, whereas the main R&R Instrument was left drowned in the mix...must`ve come either by the revolution on the Effect Market then, cos there was a lot going on with drums at the time, just to mention Simmons pads etc etc...which lead to a new way of production...\
\
Good God how many senseless discussions I had about the loudness coming out of my Amp...ended up mostly...that I told them to leave it out of the PA...(they deffinately seem not be able to handle a loud Guitar anyway) and let it come directly from the stage. \
\
Mostly I got good replies from the audience...I just cannot get it in Geords case...I mean he`s GEORDIE...and so the bloddy Soundmans Boss..isnt he? \
\
Or, the master question...do KJ actually have their own Soundman? (Cos the one in Berlin looked totaly different from the one in Cologne in 06.) Or do they hire locals? Which....hmmm...
Mr.Punch

Postby ahosek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 am

billynoband wrote:after his original vintage brit amps packed in/were stolen and before Framus / Warwick started sponsoring him and Raven.
\
\
Were his Burmans stolen? I figured they just proved to be too heavy and impractical. The heads feel like they're bolted to the floor when you pick them up, and he had some special 8 x 10" cabs which are like refrigerators filled with cement.
ahosek

Postby guitarplayer12 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:44 am

He was, I was there about 2 ft below him the whole show looked like some older 4x12s by the front panels. He also had a Line 6 DL-4 that he would change by hand on the footswitches his tap tempo was really fast which doesn't seem like his thing but he did have what I think was an older Echo device(maybe) behing the Marshalls
guitarplayer12

Postby guitarplayer12 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:57 am

[quote="thinks guitars are low in the mix is to wear ear plugs as it filters out the bass and you can hear the guitar better. I have to wear them to stop my tinnitus getting worse. Poor soul.[/quote] That's what I did at that show and I'm glad I did. I think Reza?(keys) made his own samples of some of the early synth stuff Jaz did and I think it would have been cooler to sample the original sounds.\
Also a lot of amps have a built in cut of midrange and with the volume cranked all thats emphasized is bass and highs so the guitar gets swallowed. I can't really say I really like his tone on clown face album except for the intro to blood on Your hands
guitarplayer12

Return to Geordie