Goerdies to damn good.

Goerdies to damn good.

Postby scotty 2 tees » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:25 am

Does anyone know the tuning for love like blood,could anyone put a video on web site to show me what Goerdie is doing,he just baffles me,i cant even learn the song and ive been playing for 30 years.God that sounds sad dunnit.I can do the basic version but cant get close to the real thing.There has to be someone who knows the bits,surely.Im trying to introduce this track to my covers band,but sadly we struggle like morons.Killing Joke are the best I know.Cheers.
scotty 2 tees

Re: Goerdies to damn good.

Postby billynoband » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 am

You need to ask Anthony on here, if you visit his myspace (Anthony Killing Joke Tabs) there are Geordie guitar tabs and links. He will chip in on here I am sure.\
Most of Geordies stuff (apart from the first album) sounds best played with all your strings tuned down a whole step DGCFAD. \
I use a multi effects box with AC30 sound, delay and a bit of chorus and my clumsy bass players fingers are away, it does'nt sound too bad, a bit like Geordie if he had broken his fingers.
All the best gig's have no support band and finish early. Time for bed Flowrence said Dougal.
billynoband

Postby anthony » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:02 am

Billiynoband is right, you got to detune the whole guitar down a tone, so it goes DGCFAD instead of EADGBE... You can play the song with DROPPED D tunning (DADGBE), but if you really want to sound closer to Geordie, use his tunning, he often lets ring some "open strings", and i think it is totally part of his unique sound... You should also add a bit of chorus effect, as well as delay (approx 250ms, a bit of feedback, and the volume at 50/100), it gives another "dimension" to the sound...\
Here is the link of my Myspace page with a few tabs, i've just up-dated most of the Night Time album guitar tabs, you will also find Love like Blood there, the closer way to play this beautiful track i found... \
In the blog section of this page you'll find an article in which Geordie explains the way he recorded the guitar tracks of the Night time album, using 3 different pairs of mics placed at different distance of the amps (two Burman amps with two 8x10 speakers, in full stereo))... Hope you'll enjoy...\
Cheers Scotty...\
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=66284406
anthony

Postby scotty 2 tees » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanx Anthony,I have to say your guitar tabs have been very helpfull,Im a little closer to playing it properly,many thanks to you.All the best to you and yours.Scott.
scotty 2 tees

Postby anthony » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm really glad the tabs have been helpfull for your guitar playing... I love to share some stuffs i like with some people, and i'm really pleased when someone sends me positive feedback about the tabs... \;)\
anthony

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, tuning the Git down is one point, but, tell me Anthony..how do you manage it not getting a muddy sound by not filing out the cuts on the nut? I mean, Geord`s using fat strings, kinda 012 up to... we know...to get the feel of an ordinary tuning , just mechnically...so just to tune it lower cannot have the same effect..you know what I mean Bros!?\
\
BTW: Ever tried open G?
Mr.Punch

Postby anthony » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:15 pm

I use 12-56 Ernie Ball strings and it suits well the DGCFAD tuning... I remember a loooong time ago i was thinking Geordie was just tuning DGDGBE, detuning the two firsts strings... bullshits:!!!!\
I've tryed a lot of open tunings while "studying" some Jimmy Page stuffs, and when i play The Fall of Because i detune the G string to F, it makes the song really easyer to play, the result is more "clear" than when i play it on the low D string 3rd case...
anthony

Postby Mr.Punch » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:03 pm

..yeah and sometime he use to tune the ds down to C..right. !? \
\
But wot I`d like to know is, ..you did`nt manupulate your nut? mechanachaly? I mean the fatter the strings, the more you need to open up the slits on the nut..to receiceve a propper tune and handling. It`s a physical matter. \;)\ Right? !\
\
And it`s a very sensitive work to do. \:roll:\
Mr.Punch

Postby anthony » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:46 am

Yes also uses this dropped C tuning, especially in Asteroid, Gratitude, in Afterburner too i think...\
During the last tour i saw him detuning the guitar to play Labyrinth, but he did it so quickly i didn't really realise which tuning he used, i spyed what he was playing during the song and it has nothing to see with the way i thought he played it, it should be an open tuning but once again i'm sure of anything....\
I know what you're talking about, i still miss the english technical words, but as soon as i received the Dean i put some 12-56 strings on it, and the only thing i did was adjusting the bridge pieces to make the notes and harmonics corrects... OK the strings are fatter, but considering that they are detuned down, i don't think it changes so much the action of the neck...
anthony

Postby ahosek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 am

Mr.Punch wrote:..yeah and sometime he use to tune the ds down to C..right. !? \
\
But wot I`d like to know is, ..you did`nt manupulate your nut? mechanachaly? I mean the fatter the strings, the more you need to open up the slits on the nut..to receiceve a propper tune and handling. It`s a physical matter. \;)\ Right? !\
\
And it`s a very sensitive work to do. \:roll:\
\
\
You really should have the nut slots cut for your specific gauge of strings, to allow for proper tuning etc. Having nut slots cut too deep will cause the strings to "fret out" and too high will cause slippage on the nut. If you don't know how to do it, it's best to go to a guitar tech along with a set of strings you intend to use and have the nut cut specifically for you. \
\
In technical terms, it's not difficult - you just use some files and go SLOWLY. If you cut too deep you can't go back and re-fill the slot. So use the old adage "measure twice, cut once". \
\
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Special_tools_for:_Nuts_and_saddles.html
ahosek

Next

Return to Geordie