KJ tribute song from Firedance: Ancient Flesh!

Forum for your personal announcements, exchanges, accomodation searches and so on

KJ tribute song from Firedance: Ancient Flesh!

Postby firedance » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi all\
\
I've been away from here for a while (mostly creating music, but other shit too) and here is one of the fruits of my labours.\
\
If you like it, it's a homage, if you don't then I'll just say it's a pastiche \;)\ \
\
There are a few nods/references but hopefully nothing too derivative. I think it's not bad but I still have a lot to learn.\
\
Let me know what you think gatherers:\
\
https://soundcloud.com/firedance
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Re: KJ tribute song from Firedance: Ancient Flesh!

Postby Werewolf32 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Good post-punk!
Werewolf32

Postby firedance » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks! That was the one I was referring to: "Ancient Flesh"\
\
The other two are ...meh... well they're not supposed to be a KJ homage anyway.\
\
Anyway, as I said, a lot to learn still.
firedance

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Generally, excellent stuff! Mixing, well...it`s at first your ears that counts! Acient Flesh..sounds fuckin´` good..but a tribute to whom? \;)\ 1919? Narr, it`s marvelous...the other two tracks are fab artiscal wise...personally the 2nd track`s a bit too much U2 imho...3rd one great but have`nt got the time or patience either to think about what`s it`s origins..but No 1. TOP notch! Goes with your avatar! \:)\ \8-)\\
Thanks for sharing..can I download Flesh anyhow?
Mr.Punch

Postby firedance » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks for the comments!\
\
For Ancient Flesh I was trying to get add little bits of the KJ sound here and there and as I said, little references. I nearly put some coughing in but thought better of it \:D\ \
\
I'm remixing all of these (No.2 & 3 are older earlier stuff) The Ancient Flesh one needs a bit of tweaking and I'll let you know when I've done it - by all means download, of course, but let me add some bass and restore some of the transients that the limiter sliced off \:oops:\
firedance

Postby LSDMOFRO » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:03 pm

I liked your tunes too and forgot to comment when you 1st posted. Looking forward to your fine tuning.\
\
I do some music myself.... I guess the style could be described as sort of a ----John Lee Hooker---AC/DC---Punk sort of thing. I finally got the sound I was looking for a month ago when I had Martin p/u installed under my bridge. I get that electricity with the gain and now the depth of the hammer ons are really there which I was always missing without the amp. I guess one day I'll share and see what you folks think? I am influenced by KJ. I keep the rhythms going...no solos...and strive towards that drone hypnotic drive I like...so, it's not 12 bar blues/punk---kinda like junior kimbrough on fire... anyways...thanks for sharing your music... It definitely has some originality! And some great passion and drive!
LSDMOFRO

Postby firedance » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks man!\
\
Yeah, love to hear your stuff to if you're up to it.\
\
This mixing business is MUCH more difficult than I was anticipating I tell ya...
firedance

Postby LSDMOFRO » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Right on. Keep us posted on your mixes! Hey...we should just send all our stuff to Scotty2Tees for the premastering!!!! Ha!\
\
Yeah...I'll start recording stuff in a few months I think? I just got the BOSS looper from layaway! So, I'm trying to figure it out...\
you are so right...mixing takes for ever...right now I"m just trying to figure out how all the bells and whistles with equipment work and\
to have it work for me...in the moment, while I'm playing. Then there's the singing part. Kinda hard when you never went to church \
and sang in the choir! To find your voice...to find get the resonance...to sing even just a little in key...boy...you sure get gain alot of respect\
from even musicians you don't like. While things sound easy in your car and your shower, when singing along...you cut that out...and man,\
you cringe, at least me, from hearing your voice and butchering other people's songs! It is a chore and takes so much time away from just playing and practicing,\
despite day jobs, family, and life! You have my uttmost deepest respect Firedance. What you have there sounds great...and I certainly know,\
IT AINT EASY and you are hitting some peaks here!
LSDMOFRO

Postby Lennonka » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Hey, I like it! Not bad, indeed.
∴ Too much laugh will kill you...
Lennonka
Site Admin

Postby firedance » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:00 am

Thanks Lenny!\
\
I've posted a remix on the same Soundcloud page. When I say remix, I mean the mix has been re-tweaked by the way - not in the sense of a KJ dub remix of Blue Feather or something \;)\ \
\
A few subtle changes but mainly the increased bass levels.
firedance

Return to The Gathering Family