Anyone Heard NAKED APES?

Forum about related bands, artworks, tributes, philosophy...

Anyone Heard NAKED APES?

Postby bones » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 am

They were a hard-edged EBM band, around in the early 1990s. They released a couple of albums and their second album (self-titled is chock full of the most KJ sounding guitar I've ever heard. Its produced by Paul Kendall (PK) and is one of my favourite albums of all time. A tiny bit more info here - http://www.discogs.com/artist/Naked+Apes
BONES
bones

Re: Anyone Heard NAKED APES?

Postby Mr.Punch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Got a drict link to the 2nd album then,dude?\
\
All I can find on youtube sounds to me like a Blink 182 US Teeny-Weeny sort of "Junk" Band.\
\
Ya wanna hear KJ Guitars? Do you know 1919?\
\
If not, enjoy!\
\
We used to think back then it`s them under cover. \;)\ \
\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO7ByTdsMw\
\
Cheers\
Punch
Mr.Punch

Postby Amalgam » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 am

That's what I had with Red Beat.
Amalgam

Postby firedance » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Mr.Punch wrote:\
Do you know 1919?\
\
\
Nope. but I do now.\
\
Pretty cool Punch! \8-)\
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Postby Sapromind » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Oh Gawd, please, MOAR by 1919! I mean I see the related links, but I can hardly find any info on them \:o\\
Sorry to ruin your thread, bones \8-)\
Sapromind

Postby Mr.Punch » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/goth-exd.asp?id=1728\
\
The Booklet says: 1919 were formed in Bradfort Dec. 1980 to create a heavy melodic danceband....\
\
\
The writer lwter on reveals: " Heavy and intense they surely were,.I remember entering Small Wonder Records Store in north London in 1983 to thundering drums and barbwired guitars...this was my first encounter to 1919...my intention was to buy some KILLING JOKE records..but instead I walked out with the 1919 MACHINE Album as well as well as the two 7`` Cached & Repulsion under my arm....by the day the excellent Single Cry Wolf came ot the Band already called it a day...\
\
I can..(well Punch now typing) remember listening with a friend of mine to the John Peel Show around 83..and he played Cry Wolf and the Flipside Storm...and used to say...something like:" Well, if you know Killing Joke, ya know where the guys got their sound from or something similar....we were SURE it`s KJ under a pseudonym...for years\
\
and jaz once said:"oh yeah...wasn`t it some kind of a Fan Project?! \
\
Anyway...the album is fantastic and should be bought...NOT ripped!
Mr.Punch

Postby Amalgam » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:27 am

Oh, well I once had that 1919 album, but I ditched it, because I eventually found it too derived and unoriginal. I thought the vocals sucked as well. After some 15 or so years after re-selling it at a record fair I checked out again a few of the songs from Machine on youtube, and yep: They still suck. 1919 were to Killing Joke what Skeletal Family was to the Banshees. Doomed to remain in their shadows as if tucked away in some batcave. But hey, don't let this prevent to check both out and decide for yourself. I'm sure there were plenty of other bands that were even worse.
Amalgam

Postby anthony » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 pm

NAKED APES... Great band, great guitar riffind, and really cool guys...\
https://soundcloud.com/bricebeillant/na ... mesticated
anthony

Postby bones » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:44 am

Amalgam wrote:Oh, well I once had that 1919 album, but I ditched it, because I eventually found it too derived and unoriginal. I thought the vocals sucked as well. After some 15 or so years after re-selling it at a record fair I checked out again a few of the songs from Machine on youtube, and yep: They still suck. 1919 were to Killing Joke what Skeletal Family was to the Banshees. Doomed to remain in their shadows as if tucked away in some batcave. But hey, don't let this prevent to check both out and decide for yourself. I'm sure there were plenty of other bands that were even worse.

I find this attitude really strange. Yes, 1919 are very derivative and if KJ put out 20 records a year we wouldn't need them but KJ don't put out many records at all and I think 1919 have a lot to offer beyond the songs that sound like direct KJ rip-offs.
BONES
bones

Return to KJ Tribute