Fear Factory - The Industrialist

Forum about related bands, artworks, tributes, philosophy...

Fear Factory - The Industrialist

Postby PsychoMan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dxWmJssXH4\
\
Got it yesterday, so I only listened to it twice and am not really into all the songs. As far as I can tell the album is the most aggressive and hardest since "Demanufacture". There are also some nice "Obsolete" references and the overall feel is very cold and sterile again. I think one really needs to like that kind of sound, so I wouldn't really recommend it to every KJ listener. At the moment I would say it's a very strong FF album.
Holy is the laughter that overcomes all your fears.
PsychoMan

Re: Fear Factory - The Industrialist

Postby Sapromind » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm

After reading your thread, I thought to myself that being two albums behind is too much and I need to finally lay my hands on Mechanize (we spoke about it once, here). So I did. And you're saying that...\
PsychoMan wrote:...the album is the most aggressive and hardest since "Demanufacture".
\
I think that Mechanize is really aggressive, maybe too aggressive at times, and it gets even heavier now? Well, I need to give it a try.
Sapromind

Postby PsychoMan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:07 pm

I listened to Mechanize again and I think the main difference to the new one is mainly the atmosphere. The Industrialist is some kind of Demaufacture style with Obsolete and Digimortal references. I read a few days ago that there is no real drumming on it, only programmed drums. I think this adds to the cold and sterile atmosphere on the album... plus there is no real melodic ("positive sounding") track this time. The last two tracks are an interlude (Religion is flawed because man is flawed) which leads into a 9 minute long soundscape consiting of mechanical, industrial and electronic sounds / noises.
PsychoMan

Postby Sapromind » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:54 am

PsychoMan wrote:I listened to Mechanize again and I think the main difference to the new one is mainly the atmosphere. The Industrialist is some kind of Demaufacture style with Obsolete and Digimortal references. I read a few days ago that there is no real drumming on it, only programmed drums. I think this adds to the cold and sterile atmosphere on the album... plus there is no real melodic ("positive sounding") track this time. The last two tracks are an interlude (Religion is flawed because man is flawed) which leads into a 9 minute long soundscape consiting of mechanical, industrial and electronic sounds / noises.
\
Mechanize is quite a thrash album. As I've never really been a fan of thrash metal, I must say, it's performed really well. Maybe this industrial feel was all I needed in thrash music. On the other hand, I think Burton and Dino tried to achieve something unachievable, saying "this would be the GREATEST Fear Factory album", the summary or reconstruction of the things from the past - for example, to me, Christploitation attempts to be the new Pisschrist with its epic sound and attacking a religion, but fails miserably at doing so.\
While I'm sort of sceptical in this thread, I enjoy Mechanize and I definitely will give The Industrialist a shot in the next few weeks.\
\
Btw, when in comes to drumming... wasn't it programmed on Mechanize as well? It's hard to imagine a real life human being getting close to Herrera's standards.
Sapromind

Postby PsychoMan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:34 pm

...for example, to me, Christploitation attempts to be the new Pisschrist with its epic sound and attacking a religion, but fails miserably at doing so.
\
\
I totally understand what you mean and I think the same. I like Mechanize and The Industrialist very much, but still there's a bit of a foul taste to it. I think we already talked about the "Dino and Burton back together thing" here a while ago. I think their problem (if you would call it this way) is, that they really can't go into different directions with their sound and style. But I also think they are good at what they do and most FF fans won't accept a record which sounds like Transgression again. It's almost like AC/DC would start using synthesizers and samplers. \;)\ I think the best "new" FF album was Archetype, which has really brutal and fast songs and also some great melodic and slow ones.\
\
Btw, when in comes to drumming... wasn't it programmed on Mechanize as well? It's hard to imagine a real life human being getting close to Herrera's standards.
\
\
On Mechanize it's Gene Hoglan drumming, one of the best (extreme) metal drummers in my opinion. On The Industrialist the drum sound is like staccato. Fear Factory drum tracks always sound a bit like programmed (Transgression put aside, which goes in a different direction / also Archetype which sounds a bit warmer). Maybe they used triggered drum sounds for some records!? I don't really know.
PsychoMan

Postby Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm resurrecting old threads. Have you noticed?

Anyway, Fear Factory.

Their first album was essential. I loved it.

Demanufacture was next and it had some good tracks but was a bit samey.

Since then FF have become the most predictable band in metal.

Intro with lots of double kick drums.
Crunchy verse with Burton doing his raspy shouting (probably about Terminator 2)
Singalong pop chorus.
repeat until bored or dead.
Bluce_Ree

Postby Sapromind » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:I'm resurrecting old threads. Have you noticed?

Anyway, Fear Factory.

Their first album was essential. I loved it.

Demanufacture was next and it had some good tracks but was a bit samey.

Since then FF have become the most predictable band in metal.

Intro with lots of double kick drums.
Crunchy verse with Burton doing his raspy shouting (probably about Terminator 2)
Singalong pop chorus.
repeat until bored or dead.

This is painfully true. I do enjoy a lot of their repetitve stuff, though, such as Archetype, but maybe it's because I was like 17 when it was released so it hit my back-then taste pretty well. I gave The Industrialist a shot and didn't find anything interesting in it. I found the repetitivenes kind of hilarious, as there are even more factors than those which you describe - some are a bit subtle. First song is all the way aggressive, the second has that singalong chorus, around 4th-5th song there's the single, which is usually catchy but pretty bad overall, then the filler tracks begin, there's a Pisschrist-like song somewhere along the way and finally, the last song is pompous and poignant. It's hilarious how they always try to follow the pattern from Demanufacture and how they point out how the new album will be "as good as Demanufacture". Where's the room for some kind of, I don't know, progression or vision?
I never tried the new album, maybe I will someday, though the chances are getting pretty slim. I feel bad for bashing them, though, as they used to be one of my favorite bands. And that entire band split from around 2010 and the reunion with Dino really stinks. It's a bit pathetic when people cannot come to terms with things, do things behind each other's backs and need to go to court to settle the differences such as who can use the band name. Really makes me reluctant to check their new music and their output from the past decade does not help.
Sapromind

Return to KJ Tribute