Ghost or Ghosts?

General forum about the band

Ghost or Ghosts?

Postby Sapromind » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:47 am

It's me again with one of my never ending song title dilemmas... While I always treated the back cover of a record as a bible when it comes to correct song titles, I think this time something went wrong. The last song on the new LP was always called by us "Ghost of Ladbroke Grove", was it not? Then I look at the back cover and it's "Ghosts...". So I think to myself - screw the 'back cover bible' thing, probably someone at Spinefarm got it wrong and let's write it the way the original writer wanted. So... on gigs or interviews, does Jaz say Ghost or Ghosts? Or maybe you can make it from the chorus of the studio version (that's a question to the native speakers, I guess)?\
Please help, my pedantic soul is hurting \:cry:\
Sapromind

Re: Ghost or Ghosts?

Postby Mr.Punch » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:27 pm

As far as I remrember, it always was: Ghosts. \
Also on here.\
\
There was a short space, when Endgames was Endgame or the other way around. \
\
Maybe this one keeps stucking to your mind?
Mr.Punch

Postby Sapromind » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:16 am

Maybe it does... But I thought before the LP was released we had always called it Ghost.
Sapromind

Postby cyrilgrey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:29 pm

In Excelsis EP has it listed as Ghost.\
\
iTunes has it listed as Ghosts.\
\
btw-- the US iTunes has a different running order for some reason.\
\
1. Absolute Dissent\
2. European Superstate\
3. The Great Cull\
4. Endgame\
5. In Excelsis\
6. Fresh Fever...\
7. This World Hell\
8. Here Comes The Singularity\
9. Ghost(s) of LG\
10. The Raven King\
11. Honour the Fire\
12. Depthcharge\
\
personally, i think that order is terrible. Depthcharge is one of the last songs I'd have as the closing track.
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby Sapromind » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:03 pm

So there's a mistake either on EP or LP. Oh well, so now it all depends on Jaz's pronunciation.
Sapromind

Postby cyrilgrey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:30 pm

i reason that it is Ghost because he seems to be singing about Ladbroke Grove as a whole-- so a singular place would be a singular Ghost. But, you could also reason that he is singing about the people and various places within Ladbroke Grove, in which case it would be Ghosts. Still, i think it is Ghost.
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby firedance » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 pm

I'd be fairly sure it's plural: ghosts.\
\
It's a more normal construction in English when using this figure of speech e.g. the ghosts of my past.\
\
Remember that Japan song "...the ghosts of my life grow wilder than before"\
\
Also, what it refers to, memories, are usually plural - it's rare to talk about "memory" in English - unless you are talking about the human function of memory.\
\
A reference to a singular ghost sounds like you are talking about an actual haunting or entity.
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Postby Sapromind » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:13 pm

Well okay, logical reasons are one thing, but it's not something the title of a song must always follow, is it? I mean... it can be anything, you can't just say title X is more likely than Y just because it's a more common saying in a particular language. Dark Forces could have been called Dark Force and while it makes less sense because you rather speak about spirits that haunt you in plural, you can't forbid the writer to name it this way, it's his choice.\
I know I'm trying to defend the singular verion of GoLG quite desperately and I do it only because it's the one I prefer and all this discussion is quite pointless, but, ah, it's just my pedantic soul ^^ Find a video (I already tried, though) in which Jaz introduces this song and pronounces its title clearly and I can finally rest in peace \:(\
Sapromind

Postby cyrilgrey » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:20 am

but if it is memories, than Ladbroke Grove would be a single memory or Ghost. unless those memories are of all the things that made Ladbroke Grove what it was to them, in which case it is Ghosts. there seems to be a point/counterpoint for each interpretation i come up with and the lyrics don't clarify any. if it was any other label, i'd think it was intentional, but knowing Spinefarm as we do, they probably just didn't give a squat. \
\
\
actually, Zuma did the same thing: the Loose Cannon single says "Zennon" and the Jap import says "Zennen". then again, we have seen Jaz's handwriting... maybe that explains it all.
cyrilgrey

Postby jonnie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Jaz Coleman writes it down as 'Ghost' so i think thats what it should be.
Do NOT use Insure and Go for your Holiday Insurance.They are total wank.
jonnie

Next

Return to The Killing Joke