new NIN songs and the new industry standard...

General forum about the band

Re: new NIN songs and the new industry standard...

Postby Sapromind » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:43 pm

cyrilgrey wrote:Or when Sapromind-- he always has "listening to..." on the bottom of his posts, and 9 times out of 10, the songs are excellent: NIN, the Cure, Tool, etc., but then once in a while he'll post something I've never heard of (something for me to check out) or something I don't like, and sometimes, the reason I don't like them has nothing to do with talent, but old prejudices that I've held on to since high school
\
I hope you didn't discover my two days fascination with Cyndi Lauper \:D\
Sapromind

Postby Jaggedone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Sapromind wrote:
cyrilgrey wrote:Or when Sapromind-- he always has "listening to..." I hope you didn't discover my two days fascination with Cyndi Lauper \:D\
\
I love Girls just wanna have fun and True Colours/ no problem there Sapro / JO \:mrgreen:\
Jaggedone

Postby cyrilgrey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:57 pm

^^\
\
See, then you guys go and admit to stuff like that and nothing makes sense anymore! \:lol:\
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby Jaggedone » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 pm

cyrilgrey wrote:^^\
\
See, then you guys go and admit to stuff like that and nothing makes sense anymore! \:lol:\
\
Just a bit of fun, nothing else \:lol:\ JO
Jaggedone

Postby bones » Tue May 29, 2012 3:39 am

Its OK for acts who sell millions of records to give songs away for free but it sets an expectation that pretty much ensures up and coming acts can never make a living from music. Robert Smith from The Cure had a big rant about it on his blog - http://www.thecure.com/blog/default.aspx?nid=21082 - and I think he is spot-on. I also think that any band worth its salt releases albums. It is labels who like singles because it allows them to make more money by selling you the same music twice.
BONES
bones

Postby cyrilgrey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:37 am

I don't think bands need to give away anything. I remember the whole Robert blog and the reaction towards it and I agree that albums are what make a band, but for some reason, in this day and age where things should happen faster, many bands take 3-5 years between releases and that can kill a band. I definitely think a band that wants to remain relevant should consider throwing up a song or two every few months (for sale, if they want) just to keep interests alive. Certainly the Cure fits into this pefectly-- it's been 4 years now and still no word about the already completed album they claim to have and fans like myself are just tired of waiting. And certainly a band that has been around as long as they have has quite an extensive amount of unreleased tracks (3 from Wish, 4 from WMS, 3 from Bloodflowers and so on)... songs that didn't quite fit on the album, so they could easily be selling one of those every three months to keep things moving. I thought it was the labels that were tying artists up between albums, but as Killing Joke has proven, it is all a matter of will and the desire to release an album.
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Previous

Return to The Killing Joke