Dregs (Revelations)

General forum about the band

Dregs (Revelations)

Postby tricky1963 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:15 pm

nearly 5 minutes of madness...

...but was it a "faked" outtake or something that did nearly end up on the studio floor ?

The album does feel a bit short at 37 minutes anyway, so just wondering if anyone knows more.
tricky1963

Re: Dregs (Revelations)

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Its my favorite song on the that record. ..and it basically hooked me to.that record. I.would have listened to the LP and CD less if it was not for that song. I hope you get feedback to that question. And it sure is heavier....and reminds me of WTF. Very hypnotic. ..mean...dark...and exorcising of madness.
LSDMOFRO

Postby Werewolf32 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Is this the only time Dregs was recorded live?

Brighton Top Rank '82 (different lyrics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3Kc2QVMG8
Werewolf32

Postby tricky1963 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 am

LSDMOFRO wrote:Its my favorite song on the that record. ..and it basically hooked me to.that record. I.would have listened to the LP and CD less if it was not for that song. I hope you get feedback to that question. And it sure is heavier....and reminds me of WTF. Very hypnotic. ..mean...dark...and exorcising of madness.

Yes, I love it too - it's like a pointer to the mean and dark stuff like Exorcism I reckon
tricky1963

Postby bones » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Interesting that you'd choose Exorcism as an example of KJ's "mean and dark stuff", especially when talking about something off the album after What's This For? To me Dregs fits in with songs off WTF? like Exit or Who Told You How and it doesn't sound out of place on Revelations, either. And 37 minutes wasn't really short for an album in 1982.
BONES
bones

Postby tomb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:23 am

I think I always assumed (or perhaps read, somewhere in the mists of time) that Jaz's vocal was improvised, perhaps trying to do something Lydon-esque. Strange, because KJ aren't a particularly 'spontaneous' outfit IMO.

If so, it wouldn't be the only interesting experiment on the album - there's also Good Samaritan, which I think is a really good tune that I don't think was really done justice by the way it's presented on Revelations.
tomb

Postby tricky1963 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:00 am

bones wrote:Interesting that you'd choose Exorcism as an example of KJ's "mean and dark stuff", especially when talking about something off the album after What's This For? To me Dregs fits in with songs off WTF? like Exit or Who Told You How and it doesn't sound out of place on Revelations, either. And 37 minutes wasn't really short for an album in 1982.

most albums of the time seemed to come in at over 37 mins - although it was technically difficult to get much over 40 mins on 33.3 rpm vinyl.

I do wonder if they were a few songs short for the album and though one long track might just about fill the gap !
tricky1963

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 am

bones wrote:Interesting that you'd choose Exorcism as an example of KJ's "mean and dark stuff", especially when talking about something off the album after What's This For? To me Dregs fits in with songs off WTF? like Exit or Who Told You How and it doesn't sound out of place on Revelations, either. And 37 minutes wasn't really short for an album in 1982.

I didn't notice this earlier...but not sure if you were referring to me...but I didn't write that. I wrote it reminded me off something off of WTF which you seem to agree. I stated it's exorcising of madness (which the listener may feel) as the song is very hypnotic and a chant. Which is what most all KJ is... exorcising the ill will, the hate of injustice in this world...almost all KJ is cathartic.
LSDMOFRO

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:15 am

tricky1963 wrote:most albums of the time seemed to come in at over 37 mins - although it was technically difficult to get much over 40 mins on 33.3 rpm vinyl.

I do wonder if they were a few songs short for the album and though one long track might just about fill the gap !

I think that's true. It's why many bands of the period came out with double and triple albums. They either had a lot of weight with the record company or then snuck in an extra album or two (LOL) like the Clash did with Sandinista.
And even though Malicious Damage was still involved with them they aren't a big label. It would be very expensive to expand their early records. It takes money to have a double album and unless you go to microgroove which cuts down on the sound quality you can't fit much more on a vinyl. You sacrifice sound with microgroove. That's why most microgroove records are repress records or they don't have alot of complexity, hence coming from mono sources...or the emphasis is on vocals (think Frank Sinatra) or on a guy and a guitar.
LSDMOFRO

Return to The Killing Joke