Videos, album covers, posters etc.

KJ Unearthed tv playback performance

Postby scotty 2 tees » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:05 am

Not heard of this before,great quality video to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0xdx_S4Jo
scotty 2 tees

Re: KJ Unearthed tv playback performance

Postby PsychoMan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Hahaha that was quick. Glad you like it Scotty! I stumbled across this by accident.

A few weeks ago on a boring saturday afternoon, just before I was going on vacation, I was channel surfing and stopped on one of those vintage shows, which they rebroadcast all the time from the 70s, 80s, 90s and so on. Musik Convoy was on, which was a somewhat bizarre concept of a show in the 80s. Basically they would gather some more or less known bands and let them perform to playback in rural areas on the town square. I think the only band, which did a live performance was New Order with "Thieves Like Us" (check out YouTube for that).

Anyways I wondered who else may have performed on the show. So I googled for a few minutes and found out our beloved KJ was amongst the performers. Another few minutes of google revealed that the show with KJ was to be broadcasted in two weeks. HA! :D BUT... I had to pack some things, check the car etc. for my trip to the North Sea and so I forgot about it. Yesterday I accidently hit the EPG button on my remote and my first thought was "HOLY SHHHH.....!!!" I missed it, but I was wrong. So I sat through a whole episode of Lindenstraße (which is the somewhat german equivalent to Coronation Street) with the finger on the Record button (I could have programmed it, but I was too excited...) and lo and behold the show started. But the picture suddenly was upside down, so in my head I immediatly started to go through all the programs I could use to fix it without reencoding the video (I hate reencoding because of the loss in quality).

But once again this was supposed to be an April Fools (it was broadcasted on April 1 1985), as the moderator (he actually was a successfull comedian later in Germany!) told the audience to turn around their TV sets at home, because some hitech japanese unit had failed. Ha.... Ha... Ha.... I thought the jokes on "disco!" by Ilja Richter were bad, but this.... hmm.... :|

So I sat trough some "interesting" performances by Mad Maxx (never heared from them again... 80s Spandex Bon Jovi / Van Halen ripp off hard rock all the way!), Uli Roth (great guitar player, but the outfits :oops: ), Loose Ends (actually quiet good, pop with some soul elements) and finally KJ!

What to expect from a playback performance...
I thought the reduced stage setup fitted them pretty good. Jaz theatric performace was good, Geordie is doing his thing in a relaxed manner, Big Paul almost buried completly in disco fog and Raven looked like he enjoyed the whole thing (or found it funny). The quality is really good for a 30 year old recording and I didn't alter the stream in any way. Just a clean cut from the sourcefile, merged it into a mkv container and uploaded it (luckily YouTube didn't compress it too much).

Oh btw... in the beginning of the show there was only (!) applause and cheers from the crowd when KJ were announced! Seems like they had a (small) following back then, even in the provinces. ;)

Well that was a lot to read but I like telling stories (even if they are unspectacular like this one).
Holy is the laughter that overcomes all your fears.
PsychoMan

Re: KJ Unearthed tv playback performance

Postby scotty 2 tees » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:01 pm

I feel educated and enlightened my friend.Thankyou for very interesting post.And yes,I did read it all.

It was great to see Raven smiling his head off,and Jaz looked like hed just dropped an acid tab.

Anyway Psycoman great find,one for the rarities folder I think 8-)
scotty 2 tees

Return to Visual