PYLON

News about the band.

Re: PYLON

Postby PsychoMan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:44 pm

EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! If Apocalypse should come one day this woould be the ideal soundtrack to it! :D

Really monumental stuff... well done Killing Joke!

Apropos Big Buzz: Could it be that the riffs are from Geordies demos back in 200x? Sounds really familiar to me.

Edit:

Yep... found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eigtcbs5QoY
Holy is the laughter that overcomes all your fears.
PsychoMan

Postby Bluce_Ree » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Listening to the album now.

Autonomous Zone - absolute nothing track. Similar to a lot of their recent output. Nothing interesting going on with any of the instruments apart from the dreadful noise that Reza is making.

Dawn of the Hive - Geordie asleep on verses of this one as well. Just another basic metal riff. Geordie's loose rhythmic style is terrible for that kind of riff. It just sounds flabby. The other bit (chorus? bridge?) is really good though. Moody, powerful. A sexy bit of music. Good to hear that BPF is doing something interesting on the track. The reverb on Jaz's voice is just terrible production. It all sounds like an Extremities era b-side. Far too long also.

New Cold War - kind of reminds me musically of a dull New Model Army track. Again too long. Youth's bassplaying adds nothing to the track when it easily could have saved it. Too long again.

Euphoria - the kind of track I've wanted to hear from KJ for a while. Really good.

New Jerusalem - Geordie asleep again, Youth even moreso. He's just a shadow of the bassist he was in the 80s which makes me think Geordie probably wrote all his parts back then. Track warms up though but feels like a track they'd play live for the epic feel but on record it just feels pedestrian.

War on Freedom - yes, Geordie. Yes. Just do stuff like that. Not the riffy stuff, the shimmery other stuff. Not a fan of the chorus vocally. The lead bit that Geordie did wasn't great either. But the track overall is win.

Big Buzz - ooh! I recognise that riff! I like this track a lot. I sort of preferred it with the girl singing it before. It was cleaner and Geordie shone more on it but overall Big Buzz is very good.

Delete - and it's back to the metal. Bah. Just makes me sleepy. A really shit track. If you click to any part of it it just sounds the same. No dynamics, no changes. Just a dirge.

I Am The Virus - I like it. A bit KJ2003 but it's good.

Into The Unknown - not very exciting to be honest. Not Geordie's best work.
Bluce_Ree

Postby shooty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Either Geordie wrote his bass parts or Youth did and now he doesn't bother much. I don't know which is sadder..
shooty

Postby Werewolf32 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:23 pm

'New Cold War', 'Dawn of the Hive' and 'Big Buzz' are on YouTube. Am looking forward to the full album including bonus disc 2.
Last edited by Werewolf32 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werewolf32

Postby bones » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:37 am

Do you know what really surprises me about Pylon? It's the production. If you have heard the latest Peter Murphy album, Lion, produced by Youth and with him co-writing and playing a lot of the instruments, you wonder why KJ can't do as well. Pylon's production is better than any of their recent albums but it's still not anywhere near the level of Lion, which just sounds amazing and modern and absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Maybe the band (Jaz/Geordie) don't want it to sound like that but I can't imagine why.

I'm also surprised at all the positive comments about Big Buzz. To me it sounds like a pop song, something I'd expect to hear from Scissor Sisters, not Killing Joke. It is easily my least favourite track on the album.

Another surprise for me is how catchy these songs are compared to anything they have done in ages. After just two or three listens I found myself singing I Am the Virus, Euphoria, New Cold War and Autonomous Zone. That's not something KJ have done to me in a very long time, as far back as Pandemonium.

Overall, Pylon is an interesting patchwork, some great, some decidedly ordinary, that reminds me of so many different phases of the Joke's career, from Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, through Democracy to KJ2003. Their best work may be behind them but I think Pylon is still a worthy addition to their catalogue and a good album by any other standard.
BONES
bones

Postby bones » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:47 am

Mr.Punch wrote:It`s a fucking excellent beast! Been listening to it since tree days in a row and can`t make out one track I would consider a filler (as I could on every Album since EDAVRE )

What would you consider was filler on Pandemonium?
Everything on this beast is perfect for me, the Triptichon idea - I like it - Absolute Dissent -first try after 20 odd years...great result...weaker moments...MMXXII...2.time around...tighter,far better result...Pylon...Manifestation... Killing Joke = Killing Joke!!!

Were you drunk when you wrote this? I can't really make sense of it.
BONES
bones

Postby Bluce_Ree » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:57 am

bones wrote:I'm also surprised at all the positive comments about Big Buzz. To me it sounds like a pop song, something I'd expect to hear from Scissor Sisters, not Killing Joke. It is easily my least favourite track on the album.

For me, Killing Joke at their best are all about Geordie. And this is Geordie letting his guitar go a little. When he's doing these chunky clunky metal riffs he may as well be anyone. There are metal guitarists who do that stuff way better than him. But when he's playing that loose, shimmery arpeggio style, he's unfuckwittable and the king of all. Big Buzz isn't his best but at least it sounds like the Geordie I grew up admiring.
Bluce_Ree

Postby Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:45 pm

bones wrote:
Mr.Punch wrote:It`s a fucking excellent beast! Been listening to it since tree days in a row and can`t make out one track I would consider a filler (as I could on every Album since EDAVRE )

What would you consider was filler on Pandemonium?
Everything on this beast is perfect for me, the Triptichon idea - I like it - Absolute Dissent -first try after 20 odd years...great result...weaker moments...MMXXII...2.time around...tighter,far better result...Pylon...Manifestation... Killing Joke = Killing Joke!!!

Were you drunk when you wrote this? I can't really make sense of it.

A) Jana ; Black Moon

B) Absolute Dissent was their first try in original line up ; MMXXII 2nd one of the reunited orig. line up ; Pylon Third, perfect imho. Triptichon,well Youth recently came up with this in an interview...I like the idea...that`s it. ;)
Mr.Punch

Postby PsychoMan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Pylon was voted 2nd place in the monthly Rock Hard soundcheck (out of 50) in Germany. Find the review here: https://www.rockhard.de/megazine/reviewarchiv/review-anzeigen/35853-pylon.html Sorry, only German...
Holy is the laughter that overcomes all your fears.
PsychoMan

Postby bones » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:29 am

Mr.Punch wrote:A) Jana ; Black Moon

I'll agree that Jana and Black Moon sound like Indie Rock, rather than what we normally expect from KJ, but I think they are both great songs in their own right, especially Black Moon, and definitely deserve their place on the album. They are certainly better than anything on Democracy, Hosannas or Absolute Dissent and there are only a couple of better songs on KJ2003.

As for Pylon, I'd rate half of it as worse than Jana - Autonomous Zone, New Cold War, War on Freedom, Big Buzz and Delete.
BONES
bones

PreviousNext

Return to News