PYLON

News about the band.

Re: PYLON

Postby LSDMOFRO » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Autonomous Zone. Not sure if people realize this song is probably about "Burning Man?"
LSDMOFRO

Postby Bulging Eyes » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:11 am

I have played this album over and over and over. I have read a lot of opinions on this board too. It's fascinating to read everyone's take on this superior piece of work.

Here is my track by track dissection for what it's worth:

Autonomous Zone- great opening song that really sets the tone. Prescient lyric too and part of a long running KJ theme. I like this one.
Dawn Of The Hive- this is my Great Cull. Possibly one of the heaviest tracks in the world. The bass drills into your head and pummels you. Truly outstanding.
New Cold War is actually rather good and demonstrates that KJ can be catchy
Euphoria nicely breaks up the cacophony. I didn't particularly like it initially but now I like it a lot.
New Jerusalem is a bit different in my opinion and I enjoy how the song develops.
War On Freedom is another solid song. Difficult not to like.
Big Buzz- not really a strong song for me but Geordie has a terrific sound on this. Lyric seems forced and is not particularly strong but it does show the band acknowledging the positive experiences they have had along their near 40 year journey.
Delete is a great song
I Am The Virus is a stonker of a track. Nothing much more to say.
Into The Unknown is a bit thrashy and reminds a lot of certain parts of The Wait.
Apotheosis is fantastic
Plague reminds me of an AC/DC track of Let There Be Rock but is musically better than its lyric.
Star Spangled is a drummers nightmare. The percussion is brutal. Good track
Panopticon is a really interesting song that has grown on me a lot.

On the whole the production is not as crisp as it should be and the vocals are way too low. It is their most consistently up tempo album ever and one of their heaviest. Lyrics as relevant as ever. From the reviews of the live shows it seems these songs, or at least those that were played, are meant to be showcased live and I hope they tour NZ and Oz.
Bulging Eyes

Postby markorbit » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm still listening to Pylon. I still think it's great and two months in 'Delete' has jumped a couple of places to the top...
markorbit

Postby Implosion » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:45 am

Hello gatherers!
Its not my fav album, why ?
Geordie s guitar sound, doens't... sound like before. I mean, there was strong songs in Hossanas (Implosion, Hossanas...) but the guitar didn't sound "metal" . When you listen to those songs you recognize KJ !
Did Geordie played his usual Gibson on this album ? Did he change his effect/amp ?
It could be a detail but to me Geordie sound (and riffs of course) is the soul of KJ
THere are good songs (Autonomous Zone, classic kj ! ) Euphoria, Dawn of the Hive, Delete, Into the Unknown ... My fav one is probably Plague, a masterpiece! should have been on the 1st cd !
I dont like Iam The Virus (a kind of Depthcharge too much long), Big Buzz (weak in my opinion) ...
Riffs are running in circles, there were more verses, choruses, changes, in MMXII for example or even in Absolute Dissent which contains really cool songs too.
Snakedance (not the remix) is a song I like so much! Electro sounds at the beginning, Jazz vocals, and most of all, GEORDIE SOUND that i dont find on the album :)
I can't wait the European Tour (when ? Spring or End of SUmmer ?)
Implosion

Postby Mr.Punch » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi there,well I can`t realy agree, just take Into the unknown,Geord sounds for the firsttime in bla bla bla years like on Revelations,pre and post Ref. Bridge! Phenomenal.
On the other Hand,he "sounds" slightly" diff. within the years,but it`s more than Sound there is,it`s his style of playing notes,chords,licks whatsoever...and that hasn`t change that much all over the years...it just developed...just like with any Guitarist...the rest is about the producer/engineer and loads of possibillities nowadays...

he even doesn`t like Hossanas...

the greatness of Pylon is (inho) the key`s and guits are so phenominal arranged,that I have difficulties to tell who`s who...and that`s to me, the sheer escence of a great KJ Album!

BTW: Welcome aboard. :)
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:24 am

one thing I noticed which isn't a bad thing...because I LOVE both songs by both bands: but New Cold War and Geordie totally nic Judas Priest's Desert Plains guitar wise. It nics both major rhythm parts of the Judas Priest song... It also nics "the space" between, if that makes sense...and it should for the guitar players on the forum. But I agree with you Mr. Punch. It's an evolution of playing...and like you said before...yes, Geordie can nic a few tricks...but he does it well...he puts his own stamp on it...and I really know of no other guitar player that does such an amazing job juxtaposing major rhythms and minor rhythms in the same song. It's brilliant stuff...so moody...and Pylon is just a GREAT record guitar wise and band wise.

I also noticed that in Panopticon, part of the rhythm of the sound includes very slowly to the beat the sound of creaky iron cell doors closing...anyone notice that? Brilliant and I'm not sure if this is Jaz that keyboarded this sound in or it's probably Youth with his mixing wizardry. It's not my imagination, it's there. Listen...

Another cool sound I noticed is the sound of a fax machine as part of the rhythm of the song in New Jerusalem. This sound of a fax machine is synonymous with the music and the rhythmic beat of the song. This is the stuff I love about Killing Joke. The subliminal depth of their music...songs can sound basic and straight forward but they aren't. There's always something under the surface to discover. This is the mastery of the Killing Joke!
LSDMOFRO

Postby markorbit » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:58 pm

LSDMOFRO wrote:one thing I noticed which isn't a bad thing...because I LOVE both songs by both bands: but New Cold War and Geordie totally nic Judas Priest's Desert Plains guitar wise.

I also noticed that in Panopticon, part of the rhythm of the sound includes very slowly to the beat the sound of creaky iron cell doors closing...anyone notice that?

Just played the Judas Priest track but I don't hear any resemblance, sorry. You're right about Panopticon... I know exactly the sound you mean - towards the end of the main riff. I never noticed it before.
markorbit

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:33 am

Fair enough on the priest.. i can settle for the solitude of my own esoteric ears! Glad u heard the creaky iron doors in Panopticon. It makes think that im not alone in my insanity.

Hey Kids! MILK THE COW! Spinal Tap Farm put out a Blue 2 Lp edition of Pylon on April 16th for Record Store Day. I think the only difference is its blue and the selling point. . Wait....wait. ...Exclusive Full Lyrics included with the 44 dollar purchase. Don't walk to the record store....RUN!!!!
LSDMOFRO

Previous

Return to News