kJ answer media smears

News about the band.

Re: kJ answer media smears

Postby Mr.Punch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Interesting stuff...http://goldenageofmusicvideo.com/?p=1156\
\
especialy for this particular debate...read the answer folks beneath the 80`s Cover! \;)\
Mr.Punch

Postby PsychoMan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 pm

This seems to be the full quote (found on another forum):\
\
"Most music journalists like queers like Boy George. Fag music, poncy pop music that detracts from what is going on in my life . . . music for cash. That's what black music is, it's just a cash transaction. It's shit. I'd have them all rounded up and shoved in a gas chamber."
\
\
That may not be nice, but puts the whole statement in a different context. Typical cheap gutter press journalism to take everything out of context and put it in a way that it discriminates a group of people. To me the full quote sounds more like a (drunken?) rant against the music press / style. Not against gay people...
Holy is the laughter that overcomes all your fears.
PsychoMan

Postby Werewolf32 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:41 am

PsychoMan wrote:This seems to be the full quote (found on another forum):\
\
"Most music journalists like queers like Boy George. Fag music, poncy pop music that detracts from what is going on in my life . . . music for cash. That's what black music is, it's just a cash transaction. It's shit. I'd have them all rounded up and shoved in a gas chamber."
\
\
That may not be nice, but puts the whole statement in a different context. Typical cheap gutter press journalism to take everything out of context and put it in a way that it discriminates a group of people. To me the full quote sounds more like a (drunken?) rant against the music press / style. Not against gay people...
\
\
You are right. Jaz is here having a go at music journalists and purveyors of crass pop music (Zig Zag music magazine 1984). He is saying that music journalists should by shoved in a gas chamber. Whoever wrote the attack on KJ in Gay Star News needs shoving in a gas chamber and not because he's a homosexual either. In the same issue Geordie is quoted as saying "We're very democratic in our fascism". In Zig Zag of March 1985 Paul Ferguson said "It's (Night Time album) actually a bit more humane I think in its fascism".\
\
The Stranglers were accused by the music press of indulging in 'racist' and 'sexist' innuendo and bass player J.J. Burnel was quoted in the 'New Musical Express' in 1977, as saying "By the time I was 17 I was a Nazi".
Last edited by Werewolf32 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werewolf32

Postby Werewolf32 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:26 am

The notorious KJ interview was from Zig Zag APRIL 1984.
Werewolf32

Postby firedance » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Jaz has used the terms faggots on more than a few occasions - he ranted against "faggot music" on a live bootleg from Germany i used to have (circa '85?)\
\
It's just a clumsy ill judged term, not meant literally. I take it to mean a combination of fake/superficial/cosmetic/gutless/lightweight etc etc.\
\
I would very much doubt he has anything against gay people.\
\
HOWEVER the fact remains that he used the word as a term of abuse, which is not good. Foolish really.\
\
Don't think there was real malicious intent though.\
\
Anyway, don't da kidz nowadays say "Oh that's so gay" for something that is of poor quality or inadequate in some way?\
\
So, meh.
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Postby cyrilgrey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 am

yes, but again, in the mid-eighties, people didn't have to tiptoe around everything like they do now. the press didn't analyze every word people said looking to hang them. Exactly why these people need to refer to something spoken almost 30 years ago...
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby Fonz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am

I remember the article from 1986 where Jaz had to chat about his TopTen Heroes or something. \
From memory Albert Speer, von Karajan, and Wagner were all mentioned in glowing terms. Fwiw it made me reevaluate my ideas around art and inspiration... The question of whether a"bad person's" art could ever be appreciated on its own merits, instead of the knee-jerk response that I had previously. \
Jaz also made references to 'great Europeans'. My take on it was that he was a fan of European history/tradition and essentially rejected the influence of our friends across the pond.
Fonz

Previous

Return to News