The AD 'clipping' issue

News about the band.

Re: The AD 'clipping' issue

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:09 am

@Amalgam & Cyril I second that, Democracy-remastered is definately a much clearer version, so it's not just a clipped one. \:)\
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Postby Mr.Punch » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:40 pm

cyrilgrey wrote:ok, then this brings me to my next question: are the remasters truly "remastered" or simply made louder and clipped? I feel like the Pandemonium and Democracy remasters might fall in he latter catagory. Certainly some of the other bands I listen to are only loudening their music, adding bonus material and pimping them out as "remasters". What about Killing Joke?
\
\
\
They are all really remastered...try Complications....it`s amazing
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:15 am

Hey...was coming on here to chime in since I was the initial joker...\
But I just started drinkin' some bourbon...and man, I better not say\
a damn thing at this point. I can be sappy though, I would like to say that everyone \
here is pretty damn intelligent and interesting...its sure is an honor to read spend \
time in this forum...I appreciate the enlightenment, education, and viewpoints...\
gatherer hug...ok...I'll go back in my cave with my whiskey now...
LSDMOFRO

Postby Sapromind » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:07 pm

LSDMOFRO wrote:Hey...was coming on here to chime in since I was the initial joker...\
But I just started drinkin' some bourbon...and man, I better not say\
a damn thing at this point. I can be sappy though, I would like to say that everyone \
here is pretty damn intelligent and interesting...its sure is an honor to read spend \
time in this forum...I appreciate the enlightenment, education, and viewpoints...\
gatherer hug...ok...I'll go back in my cave with my whiskey now...
\
Maybe I didn't say a word in this thread, but I've written tons of drunken posts in my life and many types of enlightement went through my head, so I know what you mean ^^\
Keep on keepin' on and stay with us!
Sapromind

Postby Mr.Punch » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:32 pm

>> I've written tons of drunken posts in my life and many types of enlightement went through my head, <<\
\
\
Well, all of a sudden most of your posts makes sense to me \:D\ \:D\ \:D\ \;)\
Mr.Punch

Postby Sapromind » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 am

Mr.Punch wrote:Well, all of a sudden most of your posts makes sense to me \:D\ \:D\ \:D\ \;)\
\
Yep. And btw, moral hangover is the vital part of the drunken posts \:oops:\
Sapromind

Postby cyrilgrey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:42 am

Mr.Punch wrote:They are all really remastered...try Complications....it`s amazing
\
\
yes, i definitely hear a difference (improvement) on all the remasters up until Pandemonium and I do notice a difference on Pandemonium and Democracy, but it is more a lateral improvement-- clearer? I wouldn't say it sounds clearer because Democracy never sounded too muddy to me. I always heard the acoustic guitar in the mix and all that. In fact, except for maybe Aeon and Mass, Democracy sounded pretty tight to me. So that's why I didn't feel I was hearing too much of a difference and that made me wonder if they were remastering or simply loudening. Truth be told, even since I became nomadic in 2008, I really haven't had a strong AV unit, mostly just computers, iPods and iPod docks, so I'm certainly not getting any of the nuances that one might pick up on with remasters. I've just read many complaints on various bands remasters so I wondered if KJ fell into that or if theirs are legit remasters. With BTATS, its tough to guage anyway since it is not only a remaster but also a new mix for a lot of the songs.
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby cyrilgrey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:45 am

whatever the case may be, it is all a learning expirience for me. i'm learning more about audio via this discussion than I did in my audio forensics class (granted, 12 years ago they didn't have all these different formats)
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby firedance » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:41 am

I'm glad to say there is now something of a backlash to the so-called loudness war and this compression to death & clipping should soon become an embarrasing quirk of the last decade. KJ should know better than to get involved anyway - it's an easy call, you don't have to do and never did.\
\
I notice some CDs these days actually have some defiant message on them - can't remeberthe exact words but something along the lines of "In an attempt to preserve the dynamics this album has been mixed/mastered in such a way that it may sound relatively quieter to others in your collection - just turn it up!"
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Previous

Return to News