Outside the Gate

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Outside the Gate

Postby LSDMOFRO » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Let's talk about what's considered KJ's worst release by most.\
\
I have always despised this release. I have always felt it unlistenable.\
\
I have read many times over the net that yes, it's more of a solo Jaz release, but that everyone involved\
felt the final mix of the release contributed to its downfall as far a popularity.\
\
It then surprised me when the band a few years back, remastered many of their releases and put\
them to vinyl, Outside the Gate included. I felt it pretty stupid to remaster this one, because, it's \
a thrift store record and no one wants it, and yet they remastered it and released it again. I was shaking my head.\
But I also I wondered if the remastered version was more to what\
they wanted from this release...but then, my despising the release wholeheartedly, I was not even\
going to take the risk to purchase it and to see if it's any better (Question, has anyone in our little gathering corner\
purchased this? If so, what do you think?)?\
\
I was driving in my car the other day, and the singles collection was rolling: America and My Love of this Land\
came on. I found myself hearing something brand new yet shades of the 80's. The two songs must have\
been remastered. They sound pretty haunting in a lot of ways...it reminded me of the band, The Fixx (which I love!)\
yet with a weird much darker twist. The atmosphere sounds more haunting on these two tracks. And they are now to me in this new\
retrospect, more to par with the darkness of other past KJ releases. On the old release, the synthesizers always bugged me as they were TOO MUCH \
and over the top...but they seemed to sound pretty good in the mix on this Singles Collection...and the vibe and groove of both tracks\
as I said take on a very different atmosphere compared to the old versions I have on LP and CD (to me)?\
\
Anyone else notice? Anyone else, lord help you, buy the remaster of Outside the Gate? And if you did, what prompted you to do so?\
Do you like it?\
\
I can't believe I MIGHT BE saying this, but I may start liking Outside the Gate, depending on the thoughts of others that have the remaster?\
I'm not ready to take the plunge...but I guess it might be a start that I am even thinking about it, lord help me too?
Last edited by LSDMOFRO on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LSDMOFRO

Re: Outside the Gate

Postby Sapromind » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 am

I own only the original copy, so can't say anything about the remaster, but since I know the original OtG quite well, I think I can safely say the versions on the singles collection are in fact exactly the ones from the original studio album...\
And, yeah, I do love this album. Has this weird dark, late-night atmosphere. The singles are very controversial and the album starts to shine from Unto the Ends of the Earth and it goes on until the very end, remixes excluded.\
Tiahuanaco is often cited as the best song on the album, but to me, while it's great, it's being praised because it's simply the most normal. I love this whacky, vampiric, visionary shit right here.
Sapromind

Postby LSDMOFRO » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:39 pm

Sapro! U are Killing Joke's biggest connoisseur. I'm shocked! Confused! Befuddled! \:?\ \
It's like, Killing Joke is Wolfgang Puck, and he is making your favorite soup. You are every customer\
in the Wolfgang's restaurant with spoons raised in anticipation of Tomato Bisque on your refined palate! \
And yet, you laugh, as I nearly bought bought the Chicken Gumbo! \
\
I don't know what I wrote means...I just know you love soup! \:lol:\
LSDMOFRO

Postby Bulging Eyes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 am

I played OTG to death upon its release. I bought the remaster for completeness. I love the album and do not deny\
this.\
Tiahuanaco is my favourite. America has truly outrageous lyrics. My Love of This Land should have been huge.Title track \
is superb but I do not like the quality of the piano outro.\
\
Mayday was thankfully canned as an album track and Jihad- what the fuck is that? I love it. Nobody was doing stuff like that\
in 88.\
Killing Joke's worst album? Probably if you accept it as KJ album. I do as its Jaz and Geordie and that's as good as Pandemonium\
or Democracy.\
\
Bomb. The United States.Outrageous.
Bulging Eyes

Postby Amalgam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 am

Bulging Eyes wrote:\
Killing Joke's worst album? Probably if you accept it as KJ album. I do as its Jaz and Geordie and that's as good as Pandemonium\
or Democracy.
\
\
The worst album? Well no, not when it comes to albums with the name KJ attached to it. Then it has to be The Courtauld Talks. The ultimate boredom you have there. \
I personally still don't care for OTG and I remember my deep disappointment, when back in 1988 I listened to it in a record shop (you still had them in those days) and thought: O dear, they've really hit rock bottom now.\
Funnily enough I did buy the 10" of "My Love Of This Land" some time later, but in my defence, only because of the B-side which has Sun Goes Down and Pssyche. The title track sounded way too much like something by Art of Noise. The record company would have been more honest had they put it on the market as a Jaz Coleman album with on the cover a small sticker saying "feat. members of KJ". But that's all hindsight, the damage was done.\
\
I've grown milder these days with regard to the "rock bottom theory", because I no longer regard 1000 Suns as a poor album or a step down from Night Time. I very much like it and have both the original as well as the remaster. I'd say that with OTG the band took a wrong turn, and some commercial suicide on top of that. It is indeed quite puzzling why it got a remaster while being a two buck thrift store item. It should have stayed what it was: A mere footnote in the otherwise impressive discography of the band.
Amalgam

Postby Icen Killin » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm

I think the worst thing about the album was the fact that Geordies guitar sound was missing and Jazs affected Phantom of the Opera vocal delivery.\
Most of the songs had something going for them both musically and lyrically but the production let it all down.\
I remember going to Porchester Halls in Westbourne Grove to see their first gig with Martin Atkins, there was a session guy on bass as Raven was pissed off generally and especially with OTG being released as KJ, this was way before the release of Extremities and speaking to Geordie before the gig, I asked him if he'd got his sound back, to which he smiled and said simply.......yes.\
This was a huge relief to me as the thought of KJ without that would be pointless and I had thought this might be the case.\
That night was a great night, a real celebration.\
\
Having said that, I'll still listen to the album, bought the remaster and find parts of the songs and lyrics drifting into my mind at unexpected times.\
\
I still think BTaTS is one of their stronger albums, especially lyrically, again a shame about the typically 80s production with the big gated reverb on the snare and a bit too much keyboards.....but still great.\
I haven't listened to Nightime for bloody years.\
\
I think that's where Extremities really made it"s mark with the dry, cutting, in your face production......it really announced their return in style.
Icen Killin

Postby Bulging Eyes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:21 am

EDAVRE is like Metallica's St. Anger in that its a complete re-invention following OTG.\
\
I think OTG is misunderstood. Its extremely daring. Lets face it it could have been an official Joke album\
but they and Jaz in particular were in crisis.\
How many bands have got only one crap album in their portfolio that is actually better than most other bands \
crap albums.\
\
KJ are never less than bloody intriguing no more so than now.
Bulging Eyes

Postby Icen Killin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Quote "How many bands have got only one crap album in their portfolio that is actually better than most other bands \
crap albums."\
\
Haha....didn't you mean to say.....\
How many bands have got only one crap album in their portfolio that is actually better than most other bands\
BEST albums.
Icen Killin

Postby Bulging Eyes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 am

Yes I did mean to say that. Brain and fingers were at odds.
Bulging Eyes

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Wow...great posts... really gives me a different perspective. Thanks.\
\
OK...so for those of you who have the remaster of OTG, is the mix different altogether.\
I recall Jaz or other members saying they thought the final mix was horrible and contributed\
to is lack of sales and acclaim. I figured, OK, well...they have their chance to get it right, \
did they?
LSDMOFRO

Next

Return to Records