Outside the Gate

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Re: Outside the Gate

Postby Bulging Eyes » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 am

The mix is the same.The production on the vinyl was pretty good. CD slightly better but not much.
Bulging Eyes

Postby Bluce_Ree » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:43 pm

Outside the Gate is dreadful in every respect.
Bluce_Ree

Postby Sapromind » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 pm

It's funny how you mistyped "delightful".
Sapromind

Postby LSDMOFRO » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:12 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:Outside the Gate is dreadful in every respect.

I always found it dreadful...but I came back to it...and Sapro turned me a little...so I do like a few tracks now...
I'm still waiting for the "It was never mixed down the way it was supposed to be" excuse version... and I'm still baffled
they reissued the remaster edition without "it was never mixed down the way it was supposed to be" version. Either it never existed,
or it's lost. i'm still gonna bitch and complain that we had a remaster of Outside the Gate on vinyl and NOT KILLING JOKE 2003!
It just steams my mental health OCD issues that 2003 was never released on vinyl!!!

With that said... I did get my BTATS remaster and reissue ion CD. I also grabbed the Let Them Eat Vinyl LP version as it was brand new and so inexpensive
I just couldn't resist my obsessive compulsion disorder!!! I'm tired and out of time. Plus I need to be responsible and post my thoughts in the proper thread.
Next week maybe.
LSDMOFRO

Postby bones » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:16 am

I used to think OTG was their worst album, until Absolute Dissent. I just can't hear anything that sounds like KJ on Absolute Dissent, whereas OTG is at least recognisably Killing Joke, albeit pretty bad Killing Joke. I don't think these are their only bad albums, either. KJ2003 has two great songs, a few bits of filler and some downright cringeworthy tracks (where Jaz uses that ridiculous voice). Hosannas also has more things wrong with it than right - the production is awful and the songs are all far too long. There may have been a good album in there but it doesn't come through. Democracy sounds more like a jam session than a proper album and it is almost completely lacking in that KJ vibe. It would definitely be the KJ album I've listened to least over the last 20 years, although I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to KJ2003, Hosannas or Absolute Dissent, either (but it would have been before MMXII was released).
BONES
bones

Postby markorbit » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Love Outside The Gate. Bought it in 1988 on a whim when it came out and after the first play I thought 'what the heck was that'. I just didn't hear many immediate songs on it. After a few plays it began to unfold and remains to this day a big favourite of mine. There is some lovely melodic work from Geordie on it despite the lack of the usual sound. Big arrangements, strange chords and weird signatures keeps this boy very happy. I'm sure the boys could incorporate 'Obsession' or the title track these days if desired. Love it.
Last edited by markorbit on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markorbit

Postby Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Absolute dogshit.

I remember seeing the video for America late on ITV one night (Night Network was it?) and being disgusted and fucking Killing Joke clean off until Pandemonium came out. I had to retroactively go back and check out Extremities as the band was dead to me.

Given that I was 13 or so at the time, that was a pretty big reaction to how awful it was.

Shit album with no redeeming features at all.
Bluce_Ree

Previous

Return to Records