Killing Joke Singles Collection 1979 - 2012

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Re: Killing Joke Singles Collection 1979 - 2012

Postby cyrilgrey » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:12 pm

romero wrote:Were there any further extra tracks on the rarities disc, as opposed to the ones on the 'normal' release?
\
\
\
There was the version of Intellect with the violin, Wardance (Naval Mix), Rantings by Jaz (which is just that- 14 minutes of Jaz talking the same shit he always does) and the Jaz and Youth Shamanic Ritual, which is just them in a large hall beating a drum, clapping their hands and shuffling feet- NOTHING extra special enough to make you feel the Deluxe Box is worth the coin.\
\
\
"If you`re into KJ...accept it! \
Whatever you`re expecting...all over the years..turned out different..innit? That`s part of the act! KJ! It was my bloddy decission to afford 300+ Euros...and I was aware what to expect...a KJ Product...otal chaos..total disapointment..whatsoever...but: WE DO KNOW THIS! ITS KJ! So ...Sorry...no offensive meaning..but..."
\
\
Just because it is Killing Joke does not mean we need to accept it. The trouble with Pledge is you're being asked to buy an item you have not yet seen. We were told what was in it, yes, but after Chaos for Breakfast, I think our standards of excellence were understood. I'm looking at the quality and care that went into the four C4B cds (Requiem, Turn to Red, Wardance and Follow the Leaders) and aside from the extra tracks, each disc comes with reproductions of stickers and inserts and the artwork is printed on a nice guage cardboard and both the front and backs are loyal to the actual 7" and the colors match... it is quality.\
\
On the deluxe box (the really f'ning expensive one!) we have 2 songs for each disc except two or three- that only have ONE! Why not throw the 12" mixes? Whatabout the missing Kings and Queens Knaves Mix? OK, but I knew each one had 2 songs. Next we look at te cardboard it is prinded on- much more flimsy. Certain discs (Eighties, Seeing Red, Democracy) have blurry and/or over-saturated artwork. The rear sleeves do not match the original 7" singles. In the cases of Exorcism, The Beautiful Dead, Fresh Fever and Ghosts of Ladbroke Grove, they just either mirror imaged the front and slapped a blank image. The discs themselves have really sloppy silkscreened images, not to mention the sloppy burn marks on many of the discs. All the nice bonus tracks were availible on the 3 cd version. Rather than hold off some nice surprises to the fans who shelled out more and waited much longer, they tossed on Jaz rambling, Youth and Jaz making noice-- btw, at 8:35 on the Youth and Jaz Ritual track, there is an electronic glitch! and they actually took off a few tracks! The super deluxe box should have ALL the bonus tracks from the 3CD PLUS the 4 other things. They listed Transient Place, I Buy and Requiem (Acapella) but I don't see them anywhere.
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby romero » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Cheers Cyril
romero

Postby Sapromind » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Today I listened again to some of the "new" tracks. A Sixth Sun is a tad bland and when it comes to Timewave... Well, Timewave sounds like Killing Joke's cover of Metallica's cover of The Wait. But Feast of Fools is actually a pretty decent track with some whacky keys and verses. Unfortunately the song is now tainted due to having the same chorus as Penny Drops and one can't now just listen to Feast of Fools without hearing this.
Sapromind

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:45 pm

@Sapromind: "Well, Timewave sounds like Killing Joke's cover of Metallica's cover of The Wait." This is my favourite comment of the week, you've hit the nail on it's head. \:D\\
\
@Cyril: This really sounds horrible! "btw, at 8:35 on the Youth and Jaz Ritual track, there is an electronic glitch" Maybe you should get in touch with Pledge again and try to get that disc replaced. I've had that problem with other discs (e.g. Live at the Forum by KJ and other low-budget-pressings) and every time my disc has been replaced, because it's obvious, that this is a manufactory-error.
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Postby Amalgam » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:24 pm

I think it's pretty clear now that the box set is a missed opportunity in terms of content. I already said that half a year ago. Now that some of you have paid dearly for all this and express your disappointment, I'd like to déja this vu: The box is a missed opportunity, and you have taken it. Right from the start I saw this as a poor, diluted follow-up to the superior Chaos for Breakfast box. Guys, I can't emphasize this enough: Don't fall for the lure of 'super limited edition' , 'exclusive' or 'it's expensive so it must be cool'. It's all bollocks, a joke that's on you.. In the end it's the music that should count, not the form in which it appears.
Amalgam

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Amen\
\
\
PS: The worst thing about the 3-disc-edition is, that I have to listen to "Me Or You" again. \:|\
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Postby LSDMOFRO » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Sorry Cyrilgrey. I feel for you man. I know how much of a collector you are and it's bullshit.\
I just knew the ol' "Laugh, I nearly bought one1?" and for the 1st time in all these years...\
I didn't fall into the trap. I totally am hearing your heartfelt disappointment.\
I'm glad that I spent my money slowly but surely and got a shitload of great ol' UK Punk vinyl and other vinyl I've always wanted instead.\
feel for you man... sorry. \
\
If it's any consulation, Im STILL WAITING for Jaz's Pledge project... and that was due in Feb?\
\
I think the Movie will go Pledge too! But at least those guys at Coffee Films seem VERY Meticulous.\
They answer all their mail too. So they seem like they'd put out a really good product. We will see.\
\
Actually, most musicians in the states use "Kickstarter" rather than "Pledge". I think Pledge is UK based?
LSDMOFRO

Postby Bulging Eyes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:08 am

I love the music of Killing Joke. I loved those pre-internet days when you wandered into the record shop and headed straight to "K". A new release was there, in your hand.\
You handed over your cash without even thinking.\
Now in the new age there is Pledge. I too am awaiting Jaz's latest cd and book. Its not a good system at all.\
The deluxe box set should not have disappointed fans but it did. I think the times have changed and maybe we need to as well?
Bulging Eyes

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Yes...but you pay for what you get...and I mean, the band. And I LOVE KJ too. Can't have my KJ tatoo lasered now off my arm because\
"Cry, I did buy one!". I too have always known what to expect. It started with the KJ Extremeites Box set.\
The whole box set, sleeves feel apart. The glue became that kinda magazine label glue...but gummier and more sticky (\
but not sticky enough). So the discs slip down and got the gum all over them. And it wouldn't was off. I had to use the petroleum \
"goof off" product to get the gum off. And it did mess up the cds. When I wrote the maker of the KJ product at the time...\
they response I got was..."yeah, sorry...the manufacturer used poor glue/substance. Please just add some more glue and it should hold1?\
What's this for!? or WTF? And I actually did what they said...they still fell apart after C-clamping! Since KJ left candlelight...most of \
any release following has been a bit shoddy in my opinion. I"m used to it. But....\
\
But hey! The joy is still there at the vinyl record store! Especially on Record Store Day World Wide!\
Only a few weeks ago I found a MINT copy of Jimi Hendrix Isle of Wightat my local record store! MINT!!! \
7 us dollars! Just stilling so lonely in the bin!\
I almost had to change my underwear! Plus...there are songs on it that aren't on the CD! Ahhhh..... \
Positives and negatives...the ol' cliche, you win some and you lose some. Sometimes badly...sometimes extroirdinarily! \
Keep your chins tucked gatherers... there's more punches to brace for impact for in the future...unless you are savvoy like Amalagam.\
He bobs and weaves and avoides the punches... A True KJ classic pugilist! To hit and not be hit...
LSDMOFRO

Postby OWEI » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Has anyone managed to work out which versions are on the 3CD set, please (ie album, single, edit, diff mix etc)?

I'm struggling and it's driving me mad!

Cheers!
OWEI

PreviousNext

Return to Records