Discussion of In Excelsis

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Discussion of In Excelsis

Postby TheImran » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I have started this thread as an opportunity to discuss what we like about the new EP and we expect going forward. I opeend this separately from the thread regarding the new EP in the "News" section, since this is not so much news, but fans discussing the new release itself.\
\
First off, i'm very excited about the new material and like it quite a bit. If I were to rank the songs in order from favorite to least favorite, it would have to be:\
\
1) Kali Yuga--currently obsessed with this song. It reminds me a lot of Mass, a B side around the pandemonium era. To me, it embodies the emotion, the energy, and the sound of Killing Joke. It has elements that remind me of all eras of the band and just sounds like "a kj song" to me. love it.\
\
2) Ghosts of ladbroke grove--i cant just listen to it once. If i listen to it, i find myself putting it on again. This is a classic KJ track that will have quite a bit of staying power with me. \
\
3) Endgame--Great energy, pleasing to my ears, is there anything more familiar and defining than the airy and hypnotic manner in which jaz belts out the words "eeeeeennnndddd gaaaammmmee"?! First time i heard it, i yelled, "Another cult....goes down!"\
\
4) In excelsis--dont misread the fact that its last on this list. i enjoy this track\
\
I like all four tracks. One of things i like most about KJ is that while they've had various stages and sounds in their career, there is something about each sound that i love deeply. Some people talk about how nothing can top the first few albums. Some love the Night Time/BTATS songs, some prefer the Extremeties/Pandemonium/Democracy albums, and then others are biggest fans of the most recents works. For me personally, the last two albums, although i love them and listen to them, are my least favorite KJ works. The most encouraging and excting thing about this EP is that it appears to be a deviation from the purely metal sound and a return to so many things that make Killing Joke great. Jaz singing again?! I love it!\
\
Thanks for reading, sorry so long.\
\
In regards to this new release, what say you?
TheImran

Re: Discussion of In Excelsis

Postby Gambit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:22 pm

As you have taken a lot of bandwith with your reply mine will be short. \:D\ \;)\ \
\
I really enjoyed the tracks. No particular order of favorites. Production is quite lame if you ask me. Guitar and drums are to much in the background, sounds more a demo to me than a finished product. But in the end I like it. Hopefully will the album be better produced.
"Looks like the Gambit is here.........."
Gambit

Postby Bluce_Ree » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:17 pm

In Excelsis - boring turgid metal shit with gash production and a weak bassline. Youth hasn't been good for ages and the drums sound like that prick who played on Pandemonium and Democracy. \
\
Ghost of Ladbroke Grove - sounds like very early Killing Joke (ie before Geordie made them amazing). Bit dull and the shouty Jaz vocals don't fit it at all. Would make for a very weak album track.\
\
Endgame - sounds like the worst of 2003 and Hosannas. Nothingy track with no hook and no moments of brilliance from anyone in the band.\
\
Kali Yuga - pretty good. Mainly down to the vocals and a reasonable riff (good by most standards, average by 80s Geordie standards).
Bluce_Ree

Postby clarky » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Thank you Bluce , that's exactly what I've been saying.
clarky

Postby shooty » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:04 pm

So what is "ghosts" actually about?
shooty

Postby shooty » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:06 pm

I think i agree with a lot of people generally though,\
good songs badly sound engineered.
shooty

Postby Sapromind » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:34 pm

shooty wrote:So what is "ghosts" actually about?
\
Hard to say without reading the lyrics, but there was some rail crash at Ladbroke Grove in 1999, maybe it's about it?
Sapromind

Postby shooty » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Maybe, its a good theory.\
\
I just wondered if they lived round there in the early days, i get a feeling of Jaz remembering old "characters"......
shooty

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Of course they used to share a flat at Ladbroke Grove in the early days \
\
http://www.anirrationaldomain.net/image ... bgrove.htm\
\
http://www.anirrationaldomain.net/image ... 81flat.htm\
\
so the lyrics might circle around the old days and what has become of ladbroke Grove..as far as I know it became a posh area during the ninties...\
\
and they used to store a massive Stone Cross in their bathroom... for some reasom...oughtta be a stage accosery perhaps, but too heavy to take it on the road \:D\ \:D\ \:D\
Mr.Punch

Postby Bulging Eyes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:10 am

They could fly it around the world like U2 did with that 360 deg bollocks tour.What bollocks that was.\
\
Hey Bluce- do you feel let down by this new EP? I did but now I have changed my mind.\
Yes the production is rubbish and always will be but I cannot get these songs out of my head.They will \
be good live I say.\
\
I think Mr P is right about Ladbroke Grove.
Bulging Eyes

Next

Return to Records