Killing Joke (2003)

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Killing Joke (2003)

Postby Crush85 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 am

Maybe I'm totally blind, but I didn't see on a thread for this album. So I'll just go ahead and post my thoughts on it and I'd love to hear your guys' opinions about it as well.\
\
My personal feeling is that it's one of their weaker albums. It's a bit strange to refer to one of their heaviest albums as "weak", but I'm only referring to the songs. Not many memorable songs on this one, except for "Blood On Your Hands."\
\
Any thoughts?
Last edited by Crush85 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crush85

Re: Killing Joke (2003)

Postby Whiplash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:07 am

I really liked it and would put it in my top 5 KJ records.
"I'll never let you get to me, survival is my victory"
Whiplash

Postby Bulging Eyes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:22 pm

If you look at the fact that Grohl played drums-his own way- then it does not sound like KJ.Benny is more a KJ drummer, and an excellent one at that.\
Grohl is a stupendous drummer too but not in the KJ style.\
\
Geordie does not sound like the Geordie we love.\
\
But the album is memorable for the JC delivery and the songs.The album is consistently brilliant with the weakest track for me being\
The House That Pain Built.\
\
The odd thing about the album though is that the follow up single was Seeing Red when it should have been Total Invasion.In fact I reckon\
Totall Invasion was earmarked as a single because the swearing is "muffled". \
\
Though I would like to have had DARS unleashed on the public ears.
Bulging Eyes

Postby Sapromind » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Bulging Eyes wrote:Though I would like to have had DARS unleashed on the public ears.
\
This song was featured on a soundtrack to a game... it was Need-For-Speed-Underground-sth-sth... (2?). So I'm sure this song is known to a larger group of younger listeners than Loose Cannon or Seeing Red for example.\
Actually it looks like this whole album is a nice try to gain some new (young) audience. It was a success, as they gained me \:o\ But it's quite obvious that older fans could have been somehow disappointed, as out of nowhere KJ came out with that nu-metal feeling (not exactly nu-metal, but you know what I mean)... Loose Cannon must be the most detested song by the hardcore fans. I still like it, though. It might be the worst on this album, but to me the whole CD has no weak points, so the worst = still good. I even like Seeing Red and I sure as hell do love You'll Never Get to Me, another not so popular track.
Sapromind

Postby Bulging Eyes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:03 pm

"I'm an urban animal, one step from a cannibal"\
Superb track- especially Geordie's sweet bridge section that no one could here live because of thge background buzz of equipment.\
\
Tear up your id cards and stick your implant up your arse........ you just wanna fucking controoooooooool"\
\
Now that is pent up anger.\
What if Geordie had the EDAVRE sound on that album??????
Bulging Eyes

Postby Mr.Punch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Well, eeerrm....\
\
when does a KJ Album sounds like a privious one??? Which directly leads to the question, how to definite the "typicaly KJ Sound?"\
\
Going far back in history now (not only it`s necessary...I`m nearly 47, so be patient, right! lol )\
\
When I first became aware of KJ ..musically.not visually (that`s a nuther spot) it must`ve been in a club in 1980 /81...\
\
The first album was played to me via a friend..and - besides sitting there open mouth - I already knew some of the tunes like Requiem,Complications...\
\
From then on me/we became more and more interrested in this Band...and discovered the turn to red ep...Heya! Absolutely great...but totaly different!\
\
Then came WTF...tho it`s close to KJ 1..it`s totaly different as well...not only production wise...the song structure was different...so was the drums..etc tec..\
\
Revelations was a...hey wots going on??? I can`t take this! Soooo different to....but damned HOT!\
\
Oh, dear...we were just gathering then came Birds of a feather. On the first listening...hell..where`s the GUITAR????\
Dissapointing! But grew on...yer know.\
\
Firedances was next. Nothing. Truely nothing had survived from the familiar sound. And then..Me or you! Oh Dear...\
\
We were going thru hell. Tho it was the hottest show I`ve ever wittnesed..on the Fitredances Tour...this Album stayed a weak one..till the remastered release.\
\
OK. LLB. Every nite on the dancefloor..each week...and all those new romantics and pseudo Punks are doing their domesticated Pogo...we were pretty puzzled.\
\
\
But got it at home it was KJ in a bloddy different style and action but still brill...\
\
The next one took me far more time to go with it, nearly 20 odd years...BTATS was waht KJ never should`ve sound like, then!\
\
Till the remaster series it was one of my fav target to say they`ve sold themselfs!\
\
OTG...well OTGEE\
\
\
I was about to forget about the Band. Shit happens!\
\
Then suddenly in 1990...there was an Album and Single...wow. Bought it. But...1st lsiten..told me..it`s not truely KJ..it`s american Nu Rock,Death Rock whatsoever...in the end I thought, weel a good try to come back to the roots...but sounds like a rush recording (which it was, later turns out)\
\
I learned to live with it....as there was no live sign at all...\
\
till: Pandemonium appeared! HELL, fucking Hell wot an Album...everybody who ever liked em was over the moon. But Panda sounded like nothing before (same goes for EDAVRE) and OTG and yer know..\
\
Then came democracy. Sounded absolutely differ to Panda and what was all before...we were a bit dissapointed, as it does not shows the intensity and aggression panda did...to tell it thru my best mates words ( he got Demo first) "It?`s missing something"\
\
Seven Years in Tibet! No nothing!\
\
Than..suddenly...either on a sampler added to a mag or online..can`t remember...there was tze opening chords of TDARS..\
\
"They are back I was shouting, they are back for fuck sake...\
\
and the entire Album only inholds one weak period...You never got to me...the rest is superb. I cannot get the point that so many of you don`t like Asteroid??? Do you like Exorcism? Asteroid is just the further step ..which is the further step to Pssyche..all these one chorders...and: KJ 2003 sounds different to anything before, as usual. So, what is THE KJ Sound? \
\
KJ 1,WTF! ?; Rev?; HA!; Firedances? ; BTATS? ; OTG??? ; EDAVRE? ; .....or at least Turn to red??? We are happy having a Band that is sometimes disturbing like hell...but that`s part of the act/Name.\
\
KJ 3 yeah..I put it up to my top 5 too.
Mr.Punch

Postby Sapromind » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 pm

I see your point, but I still cannot understand why people dislike You'll Never Get to Me. Sure, the nostalgic sound is not what people expect from the Joke, but it happens, like, one time every twenty years. So why is it unacceptable? \:o\ This song is about staying together, lasting friendships etc etc... For example take the lines about "sharing problems and our food". It's so cool! Especially a person who supports them for nearly 30 years should feel this way, I guess.
Sapromind

Postby Bulging Eyes » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Why do we love KJ even tyhough they change so much?What is the common Dominator?\
\
Politically/enviromentally charged lyrics? Not always. Sound-always different.\
\
There was a Change to the sound post BTATS that reappeared for EDAVRE that has never been heard since.\
I suppose the beat of the drums has always been there and throbbing bass.\
\
We just love them for what they do.They are Brilliant. I will listen to them until I am in my Eighties or until\
the Sun Goes Down. Or I will lose my Sanity(Insane Mix) and become one of the Beautiful Dead.\
\
I am so happy I cannot contain my Julibation \
\
Fuck me I need to log out- Goodbye to the Forum
Bulging Eyes

Postby firedance » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 am

I don't like it very much. A handful of tracks, that's all. For me it's their worst album together with OTG.\
\
It's just too ordinary and too metal sounding for me.
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Postby firedance » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:06 pm

Bulging Eyes wrote:Why do we love KJ even tyhough they change so much?What is the common Dominator?\
\
\
Although the sound is always different to an extent, for me the common denominator is the use of dissonance combined with an 'epic' feel.\
\
From Requiem through Intravenous to Gratitude this is the link for me.\
\
It's all about the tunes. I complained that 03 is too metal but that's a minor complaint. It's more than that. For me, a lot of the tracks just sound too 'normal' in their composition - I prefer BTATS for this reason. Any nu-metal/industrial-ish band could have made most of 03.
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Next

Return to Records