Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Re: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Postby ahosek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 am

Whiplash wrote:I like BTATS, especially Chessboards. They definetly went in a different direction with this one, but you could say it started with Night Time...
\
\
\
+1
ahosek

Postby cyrilgrey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:42 am

SPURMEON wrote:I hate it
\
\
No, tell us how you really feel \:lol:\
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby cyrilgrey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 am

Whiplash wrote:I like BTATS, especially Chessboards. They definetly went in a different direction with this one, but you could say it started with Night Time...
\
\
the albums kinda pair up in a way: 1980/WTF?, Revelations/Fire Dances, Night Time/BTATS, Pandemonium/Democracy, 2003/Hosannas, Outside the Gate/genital warts...
"you make a prison of my life, if you became another's wife. With all the prisons blown to dust, my enemies walk free- I'm mad about you"
cyrilgrey

Postby Sapromind » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Oh, I know. I'll listen to Outside the Gate everytime after someone's bitchin. As a protest.
Sapromind

Postby Mr.Punch » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Cyril,Ciryl... \:roll:\ and where will you put ED&VRE? \;)\
Mr.Punch

Postby cyrilgrey » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Extremities is an oggment. It truly stands alone. It sounds like no other album- like an organic industrial post-punk thing. if I had to pair it, i'd pair it with Murder Inc. because Martin Atkins makes everything sound the same underneath it all. I never liked his style and I wish he'd stop name dropping Killing Joke. One album does not a member make. I prefer the session drummers on Pandemonium. That's just me. So, yeah, E,D&VRE is its own entity.\
\
I do like the album- because of what Jaz and Geordie did, but the rythm section sounds like mud. Sorry Raven.
cyrilgrey

Postby Crush85 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:55 am

Despite awful songs like "A Southern Sky" and "Victory",Brighter is easily my favorite Killing Joke album. I prefer the restored mixes version, as it sounds much cleaner and closer to what Killing Joke sounds like. "Chessboards" is my favorite track from this as well as "Rubicon." It's a shame they don't play those songs anymore.\
\
On one hand many consider this to be their least exciting record (and I do agree that it's not very exciting), but it's very dark and thought-provoking. And sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for.
Crush85

Postby firedance » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 pm

I Kind of like Wintergardens and bits of some others but overall I think it's easily their worst album. It's incredibly dull IMO. It's almost as if every song was a reject from Night Time era B-sides. Soulless and even a bit depressing - and not in a good way because let's face it KJ can do 'depressing' very well when they want to \:D\ \
\
At least OTG doesn't pretend to be an album of conventional songs - it is what it is.\
\
BTATS sounds to me like the band Talk Talk (Talk Talk stripped of tunes that is, and having been given a new guitar effect)\
It's practically elevator music (sorry)
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

Postby Fancyjoke » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Btats,their most melodic work to date,it really fitted that age.\
After the dark Night Time an almost enlightened,romantic album,the beauty of it all.\
\
Not all the songs appeal to me as much as say Chessboards or the beautiful Adorations,but overall it is more than ok.\
I grew up with that album after '85's Night Time,I was 16 back then,1st concert in '86 which I taped (rare!).\
\
Agreed,not yer typical raw KJ sound,but you can't have all,can you?
The Great Cull is coming down!\
\
http://www.youtube.com/user/VOIDMK20
Fancyjoke

Postby firedance » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 am

I think I'm going to have to re-evaluate this one. \:oops:\ \
\
I don't know what has happened but have been playing this in the car the last couple of days and a few tracks are jumping out at me now and I don't know why they didn't before. E.g. Chessboards, Rubicon, Goodbye to the village. I kind of liked Adorations and Wintergardens anyway. \
\
I already probably like this album better than KJ03 at this stage.
Left my conscience way behind ... tumble tumble, here we goooooo!
firedance

PreviousNext

Return to Records