Big Buzz

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Big Buzz

Postby Bluce_Ree » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Why the hell aren't they playing this live?!

For my money this is the only world class track they've done on the last three albums. There are some really good songs on there but this is the only one that really sounds like the Geordie I grew up listening to.

Absolutely stunning track. Also, it's one of the few tracks where Youth has a bassline that isn't just the guitar part doubled and isn't a dirge.

I can't believe this isn't in the set but absolute shit like Autonomous Zone and Delete is.
Bluce_Ree

Re: Big Buzz

Postby bones » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:35 pm

I think it is the worst song on the album. It sounds like a limp effort to get some radio airplay, like Me Or You? did, back in the day. I do agree, though, that Autonomous Zone and Delete are also pretty weak. I'd take those three songs off and put Apotheosis, Plague and Star Spangled on the main album.

If you're talking about the best songs they have done in ages, I think I Am the Virus and Into the Unknown definitely qualify. Those two songs, along with Seeing Red and Blood on Your Hands, are easily the best things they have done since Pandemonium.
BONES
bones

Postby Bluce_Ree » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 am

That's so odd to me. It's a bit upbeat for sure but it's not exactly a pop hit. I just love the guitar on it so much and the fact that it's not a dirge. If it had been written and recorded in the '80s when they still had good production, it would have been a classic.
Bluce_Ree

Postby romero » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Why the hell aren't they playing this live?!

For my money this is the only world class track they've done on the last three albums. There are some really good songs on there but this is the only one that really sounds like the Geordie I grew up listening to.

Absolutely stunning track. Also, it's one of the few tracks where Youth has a bassline that isn't just the guitar part doubled and isn't a dirge.

I can't believe this isn't in the set but absolute shit like Autonomous Zone and Delete is.

Totally agree. My favourite track along with Star Spangled and the best thing they've done in a while. I actualy love the majority of the album but BB stands out as the best.
romero

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:02 am

I think it's a "single" track...and one of the most palatable, meaning...everyone and even grandma likes it...it has that harmony and melody. I like it alot too...but... I think it will burn out faster. It's burned out faster in my head, where the more complex longer tracks I tend to keep wanting to listen too...and I'm hearing things in them I haven't heard in them after multiple listens...

with that said...I think Star Spangled is so far my favorite track. Everything on this Pylon release is so RELEVANT! I really dig this record, man...really dig it. wish I had the FUCKING LYRICS!!! it's such a drag!
LSDMOFRO

Postby Bluce_Ree » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:41 pm

LSDMOFRO wrote:I think it's a "single" track...and one of the most palatable, meaning...everyone and even grandma likes it...it has that harmony and melody. I like it alot too...but... I think it will burn out faster. It's burned out faster in my head, where the more complex longer tracks I tend to keep wanting to listen too...and I'm hearing things in them I haven't heard in them after multiple listens...

with that said...I think Star Spangled is so far my favorite track. Everything on this Pylon release is so RELEVANT! I really dig this record, man...really dig it. wish I had the FUCKING LYRICS!!! it's such a drag!

I'm not sure there is a complex track on this album. They tend to be verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus verse chorus type affairs. And they are all a bit too long. Even this song follows the pattern a bit. It's down to the complexity of the riff really. There's none of the bullshit metal playing on here.

I need to listen to Star Spangled again. I'll do it right now.
Bluce_Ree

Postby LSDMOFRO » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:27 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
I'm not sure there is a complex track on this album. They tend to be verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus verse chorus type affairs. And they are all a bit too long. Even this song follows the pattern a bit. It's down to the complexity of the riff really. There's none of the bullshit metal playing on here.

I need to listen to Star Spangled again. I'll do it right now.

I can agree with that. And you are right you are "not sure there is a complex track on this album"...verse chorus verse chorus bridge etc etc. But I guess what I'm saying is that I find a lot of background weirdness, the flange synth ripping up and down on almost ever track. And with Killing Joke, even though we have that "formula" that they've set themselves in, what I mean about complexity is hearing the sort of psychedelic layering of the synths...the odd sound bytes of something going on. So...you are right, I shouldn't say complex. I would have to say that EDAVRE is complex imo and possibly by your definition. I continue to hear something new whether byte or lick that I have not heard after multiple listens. So Big Buzz is the track that has less of that, seems to me would be a "single" in the old days. A song that is straight forward, catchy, and I hate to say this, but even a U2 fan would kind of like. I can almost hear Bono singing the song!
:roll:

I guess I go back to what Mr. Punch said in a post somewhere---and I paraphrase much, but Mr. Punch mentioned that Youth stated the Pylon release completes a trilogy of albums so to speak. I can hear the allusion to that statement in the releases and like that pattern. And I DO like this release a lot. For me, Big Buzz, is a bit of the weakest link of the lot. But where you like oranges, I like mangos. We all like fruit. So. Where Bones and I would completely disagree on what Killing Joke albums are the best, here--- we agree on Big Buzz. But we all like fruit!
LSDMOFRO

Postby markorbit » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:24 pm

I look at 'Big Buzz' and 'Euphoria' as the two 'singles' from the album. Neither are weak at all and both hark back to an earlier KJ sound (NOT a bad thing). These two are the most immediately accessible but other tracks have more depth and reward repeated listens. I absolutely adore the album and think it is 10 x better overall than 2012 or AD. Can't understand the few comments about 'Delete' being a weak track. I think it's immense and in the top 3 from Pylon.

As for complex songs... Panoptican is probably the one. Slowly unfolds, great middle 8 and interesting timing when we finally get to the chorus. However I don't regard the others as too simple at all. I really think time will tell with Pylon... destined to be a classic in the discography. It's already there for me.
markorbit

Postby LSDMOFRO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:05 am

Im on the same exact page as u markobit. Exactly.
LSDMOFRO

Postby Bluce_Ree » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 am

:)

I've listened to Pylon more than AD and 2012. So that's something.

That said, I burned it to CD for my car and it didn't fit so I took of Autonomous Zone and Delete!

New Cold War is growing on me. Man, I wish that track had better production.
Bluce_Ree

Next

Return to Records