Pylon

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

Pylon

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Has anybody received the special Vinyl Set yet ?
Mr.Punch

Re: Pylon

Postby LSDMOFRO » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:56 pm

hA! i posted on that. Thanks Mr. Punch for bringing it up...

I am disappointed the CD has NO LYRICS. Hey..I'm an English speaker and I can't make out everything Killing Joke says...I feel sorry for ESL people!!!

I hope the vinyl has lyrics...but I haven't gotten it yet... See my post... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1032
LSDMOFRO

Pylon Lyrics

Postby LSDMOFRO » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:20 am

I'm thinking we may need to get some clarity. I'm getting some...but the mighty KJ has been generous enough; we may need a group effort for full contemplations...

Another New Thread? Who's starting?
LSDMOFRO

Postby Mr.Punch » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:24 pm

Got the specialVinyl today. Bit dissapointed,that the 3D Picture is just a card layer,not even fixed to the sleeve (I expected a kinda slide in case like Absolute Dissent) but ok it`end up on the wall as a great 3D pic.

Now I am once again stunned. This Vinyl sounds far better,far more transparent than the CD. And it looks pretty nice. Good to have Vinyl back in the game on a regular basis.

BTW.: Pylon reached No 1 Spot!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/deathandresurrectionshow
Mr.Punch

Postby scotty 2 tees » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:56 pm

incredible news,come on,they deserve success,even if it personally annoys you.Im getting to grips with 95% of the lyrics and they are, compeling,a real message being said,both musically and lyricaly.They didnt sell out on us,they just got new fans, due to many festivals and appealing to a younger audience.Personally im buzzed at pylons number 1 status.Its an incredible album.Long live the mighty Joke. :D
scotty 2 tees

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:09 am

Mr.Punch wrote:Got the specialVinyl today. Bit dissapointed,that the 3D Picture is just a card layer,not even fixed to the sleeve (I expected a kinda slide in case like Absolute Dissent) but ok it`end up on the wall as a great 3D pic.

Now I am once again stunned. This Vinyl sounds far better,far more transparent than the CD. And it looks pretty nice. Good to have Vinyl back in the game on a regular basis.

BTW.: Pylon reached No 1 Spot!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/deathandresurrectionshow

I was surprised by that too...not being attached...but it's so fucking trippy and awesome that I was still grinning from ear to ear! What a stellar picture.
So...I made it a better positive and put it into one of those premade album frames for records and hung it on the wall! It's just killer! I love it!

I'm waiting for a new needle to play the vinyl. I have about 1200 hours on this needle right now and I don't wanna play special or rare records...making my own grooves! I love that needles are so cheap now days. I know a lady on the net that sells them for 7 to 15 bucks. Not the 50 to 70 like the old days.

She has old stock.

I still want the lyrics cause some songs I can't sing along quite exactly...but I tell you this...I listen to this recording 4 times a day and I'm still not sick of it...it keeps giving and giving and giving! I love this release, ALOT! It certainly does deserve to be #1!
LSDMOFRO

Postby bones » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Mr.Punch wrote:https://www.facebook.com/deathandresurrectionshow

If you go to the real chart, you'll see that Pylon is actually at no. 16, which is still an excellent result for its first week in. Revelations and Night Time are the only albums that have bettered this result (#12 and #11, respectively) and it equals Pandemonium's highest position. Of course, you had to sell a lot more records to make the charts back then but that's the case for everyone else, too.

I have to say, though, that I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone buys vinyl. It might sound great the first time you listen to it but every time after that it degrades. I was the happiest man on Earth when I was able to leave it behind in favour of a medium that retains full fidelity for millions of listens. And whilst the vinyl might sound different, I don't think it ever sounds better, even on a $30,000 hi-fi (I have an audiophile friend).
BONES
bones

Postby Mr.Punch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:39 pm

They`re actually hitting the spot again...in the Rock Charts Germany....

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/ro ... ums-chart/

crazy. Not that the charts mean anything to me since decades,but it`s a great fun to notice...it is possible...ha ha Big Buzzz :D
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:01 am

bones wrote:
Mr.Punch wrote:https://www.facebook.com/deathandresurrectionshow

If you go to the real chart, you'll see that Pylon is actually at no. 16, which is still an excellent result for its first week in. Revelations and Night Time are the only albums that have bettered this result (#12 and #11, respectively) and it equals Pandemonium's highest position. Of course, you had to sell a lot more records to make the charts back then but that's the case for everyone else, too.

I have to say, though, that I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone buys vinyl. It might sound great the first time you listen to it but every time after that it degrades. I was the happiest man on Earth when I was able to leave it behind in favour of a medium that retains full fidelity for millions of listens. And whilst the vinyl might sound different, I don't think it ever sounds better, even on a $30,000 hi-fi (I have an audiophile friend).

it you take care of your records they don't degrade... i have records from the 1950s and 1960s that sound amazing...like the 1st day they were purchased. the covers are hashed from wear, but the record was taken care of... the thing about records for me bones is that you pay a little more attention to what you play. it's physical media and you have to pay attention because the record stops and you have to flip it over...you become more conscious of what's playing on your stereo. The other thing...and I do have a large collection of digital, but the other thing and difference is records are a wave...a true wave...like a radio signal...it's not a zero or a one... so it does have a human warmth.

Try this sometime. And of course it has limitations...and of course it is inferior on some levels...but try this sometime. Get a good quality tube radio from the 1950s. Put on a Jazz station...make sure you have a good radio signal...put the volume on low...that sound from that radio will flow and fill up a room and travel to other rooms and you will hear an amazing clarity...why? because it's a true wave...it's a lower spectrum of light. Now take a modern radio and do the same thing...you will see the sound will stay in that room at a low volume, unlike that old tube radio. Why...it's more human. Maybe you might like more singularity ? That's cool. I sometimes like it on occasion. Have you thought about the reasons why vinyl and cassettes are back? Vinyl is the top selling physical media for many years now? Why do you suppose that is? Are humans missing something? Maybe it's because on the more grand-scale they are feeling detached? One isn't necessarily better than the other...but I can tell you this..I have some old blues records...field recordings...and high quality for their time...and they are in mint condition from the 1950s. The musician, with guitar, foot stomp, and microphone sounds like his is actually in the room with you. The digital versions sounds a bit tinny, they are missing something...and probably because the recordings are so simple...yet, these digital versions, which have been remastered, all the limitations that existed on the vinyl have been cleaned to perfection from original source tapes. Yes...they sound much more clear...and in some cases...alot more perfect. But when played...the musician doesn't sound like they are IN the room with you. They don't sound like they are in the room with you...Why? Maybe it's the Waves. More human i suppose. I've actually thought about this subject for quite a long time. i continue to discover more about it.
LSDMOFRO

Postby bones » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Of course they degrade - you have a piece of really sharp diamond scraping across brittle plastic. Dust gets in that you can't get out. They get scratched and you can hear that (a scratched CD still sounds exactly like one with no scratches). It's inevitable. Having to turn the record over doesn't make me enjoy it one whit more. I enjoy it if it's good, regardless of the media. The "human warmth" thing is completely, utterly in your mind. The sampling frequency of a CD was chosen for a reason - it is more than twice the highest frequency a human ear can detect. And as the record was almost certainly produced using digital equipment, just because it works so much better in a studio environment, it's a pointless difference anyway. I could play you back-to-back samples of each and whilst you might be able to hear a difference, you wouldn't be able to reliably pick digital from analogue. I've tried it on music forum before, on people with trained ears, and the results were pretty compelling. I used a software version of a synth and the real synth and the only way anyone worked out which was which was because the hardware synth had inevitable noise in its signal from the cables and other crap in its signal path that the digital synth didn't have to deal with. i.e. the people who got it right deliberately picked the one that sounded worse as the real synth.

Have you thought about the reasons why vinyl and cassettes are back?

Yes, it is because people are idiots, completely incapable of objectivity and terrified of the march of progress. They long for the old and familiar, even though they won't admit it to themselves or anyone else. e.g. How else could you explain the failure of Windows 8 and the embrace of Windows 10, despite it being a measurably inferior operating system?
BONES
bones

Next

Return to Records