response to favs to IntravenousExorcism!

Talks about albums, singles and other official releases

response to favs to IntravenousExorcism!

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sun May 13, 2018 8:17 am

IntravenousExorcism!

My favorite Killing Joke Albums I always fall back on are, and it's hard to say cause I go thru phases...

Killing Joke - Killing Joke It amazes me how this record can sound with the gear they had back then...

When I feeling despair, and I want to exercise the demons....
I listen to What's This For (Tension, Madness) my favs...
It's probably my favorite KJ record. But I'm selective when I listen to it. The cover is haunting, and hilarious. Mike Coles at his finest
though he wasn't fully satisfied with the cover per his book 40 years in the Wilderness.

I Love Extremities too. There's a lot going on in the background. I guess I listen to both those records
when I'm a bit down and pissed at the world. They agree with that mood, so they sort of inspire me.
I guess If I had to take only one KJ record on a desert island, it would be this one. Intravenous, inside the termite mound, Beautiful dead, North of the Border. Slipstream. I just LOVE these tracks! It's a very psychedelic KJ record...it's deep.

I really dig Pylon. It's a great record. It's polished. I hear a lot of other influences that are quite Killing Joke in a few songs, but it's amazing.

I LOVE KJ 2003. It's a record that's really inspiring to me. Blood on your Hands, Dark Forces! Implant... L
H of the B of H! I absolutely love The Lightbringer. One of my favorite KJ tracks of all time. Inspiring and Hypnotic.

HA! Yeah, Mr. Punch is right. Short and to the point and extremely powerful.

Turn to Red. Well, I'd have to say my favorite version of this track is on the Live the Great Gathering from Pledge. Very Trippy.

I can go on and on and on about each record and my favorite tracks, frankly. I think, though I like many tracks, I'm most disappointed with Absolute Dissent,
due to the production. It's just extremely muddy on so many tracks and I'm not sure why they would produce it this way...or did it get muddy in the mastering process, or by what's called "clipping".

It's funny, because I can say I love every KJ record. And there are times in my life where say, I only listen to a few and over and over until I exorcise.
I find it interesting that say, I listened to Democracy, the least amount, but when I put it on after a hiatus, I hear aspects of the songs that weren't my favorite
that I really came to very much appreciate and hear with new ears.

You see... We love ALL things Killing Joke here! i believe I own every record (and that includes singles) except for the Amnesty interview and I believe one early bootleg.

Which reminds me... I haven't heard Adorations or Goodbye to the Village in a while so I need to put those singles on...I miss hearing them.

anyways... I've decided to try and spend some time here on the forum. So hopefully, we can have a bit more discussions!
LSDMOFRO

Re: response to favs to IntravenousExorcism!

Postby IntravenousExorcism » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks for the response.

I agree a lot on your choices. Killing Joke 1980 is a classic, that much has to be said. It's a great record that could've come up 10-20 years later and still have been as brilliant and sounded as good then. "Requiem", "The Wait" "Complications", "Wardance" are career highlights.

Extremities is probably my favorite at the moment. It takes some time to grow on you but it's a very dark record with a lot going for it. It's an album made from genuine feelings of so much hate, rage, and pain expressed through music in a brilliant way. The songs are so good too... "Inside the Termite Mound" has been one of my favorites recently.

Pylon, I think it's a good album, but not their best. I think it probably could've been shortened to one CD as opposed to two, but there's a lot of good songs on it. I particularly dig "I Am the Virus" and "Into the Unknown" a lot. I also like the production, sounds very huge and wall-of-sound-esque. MMXII has a similar sound too, and I like that one a lot also.

KJ 2003 is another very good album. But "Dark Forces" and "Total Invasion" kind of bother me for some reason... I can't really explain why. I love "You'll Never Get to Me" though, and also "Asteroid", what a chorus. Overall I'd say the album is probably the most metal sounding KJ album, and I say that as a compliment. It's got an edge to it that is unmatched.

Absolute Dissent is a great album with some of their best songs. I agree the production is a bit lackluster, but it doesn't get in the way of the music for me. How can you argue with "The Raven King", "In Excelsis", "Here Comes the Singularity"? I know I can't.

Democracy is one that I think deserves a little more respect. Really like the psychedelic vibes and the acoustic/electric guitar interpolation. Also Jaz's vocal performance on this album is one of his best, lots of emotion in his voice. It's an incredible album.

I do love all things Killing Joke as well. There's still a few more albums I have to get into, but I enjoy basically everything I've heard so far.

Thank you for making this thread. I hope to have some good discussions before this forum dies out (since it's getting shut down... unfortunately right after I joined).
IntravenousExorcism

Return to Records