40 years in wilderness

40 years in wilderness

Postby Mr.Punch » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Got my book on Friday! Great great wirk and nice backround infos on some KJ sleeves. Nice One Mike!!!!
Mr.Punch

Re: 40 years in wilderness

Postby Werewolf32 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:06 pm

MIKE COLES
Forty Years in the Wilderness
21st - 26th October 2016

This exhibition heralds the publication of Forty Years in the Wilderness, a visual account of Mike Coles's graphic journey on the fringe of art, design and music since his arrival in London in 1976 armed with £90, a rucksack and a little book of drawings.

"Whilst living in Covent Garden in 1977 a friend gave me a set of prints by John Heartfield, the German artist who produced highly political anti-nazi photomontages. I started messing around with cut-up magazine photos and newspaper ads creating twisted and surreal images and soon I’d swapped the pen for the scalpel. And I bought a camera."

That early bold, atmospheric Killing Joke imagery is now legendary and forty years later Mike is still creating and treading his own path, single-handedly running Malicious Damage Records, still working with Killing Joke and The Orb, doing live VJ sets, realising his visions on film and video and meddling with the art of photomontage.

Mike's career has spanned five decades, from the twilight days of hot metal type, drawing boards and cow gum, through the revolutionary arrival of the computer and on in to the digital future of smartphones and social media.

"I love to subvert images and twist them out of context, transforming something nice into something nasty, or taking something evil and making it funny. It's always fascinated me, the evil behind the smiles and the grin behind the wickedness. I think it probably harks back to my strict catholic schooling... all those nuns and priests. I like cute things too."

The Exhibition showcases a selection of Mike's stark graphic creations from the 1970s and 1980s through to current projects and works in progess and also features an installation of innovative and experimental video works.

@ The Fifth Base Gallery, 23 Heneage Street, London E1 5LJ. ADMISSION IS FREE

http://www.5thbase.co.uk/forthcoming
Werewolf32

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 pm

This is the only KJ-related book I'm thinking about buying...recommended? I love his artwork, but I hate to buy stuff just to put it on the shelf...this is what would happen to KJ-photobooks.
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Postby Mr.Punch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm

No,it`s not only KJ related,it`s Maicious Damage related...and of course Mike Coles. It is worth the money! If you like his Artwork you won`t be dissapointed! It shows of course every KJ Artwork
Mike was involved in (with great anecdotes) (( So it`s Revelations missing,so is Nighttime/BTATS/Absolute Dissent...but that`s all so far) and it shows a lot great work of the man besides KJ...as I said...it`s worth it...I love it! It`s Hardback,size of an LP (maybe 1cm larger) it`s heavy weight satin gloss paper...it`s nice,plain and simple.
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 pm

I bought Resurrection! From his 40 show. Which is the 2003 piece.
Its so big. Ill post pictures. I didn't really have the money but I really wanted a significant meaningful piece of Colesy and holy crap I got one. I had it laid down next to the couch ( 5 sections that make one piece) and I passed it a few times lolly gagging around my house etc...and then...when the lights were dimmer...it just really.pops! I started laughing! And I could see Colesy's humor in the piece. Its ridiculous! Funny shit man. What a great artist and just down right interesting character Sir Coles is!
LSDMOFRO

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 am

Congrats, LSD! Yes, it would be nice to ser some pictures. :-)
Life is too short to be taken seriously. (Oscar Wilde)\
Life is too short to share it on facebook. (Michael)
Michael

Postby Mr.Punch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:09 pm

LSD wrote: I bought Resurrection! From his 40 show. Which is the 2003 piece...

Erm... I`m happy for you, but I don`t get it... Resurrection? 2003 Piece??? What are you talking about????.... you`re ain`t talking about his actual book are you???

Shed some light please, mate.
Mr.Punch

Postby LSDMOFRO » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:42 am

I'm sorry. The piece is called Ressurection. The piece was the original idea for the album cover and inner CD sleeve for Killing Joke 2003. But the band went with the Warhol-esqe clown with the strike out eyes.

Colesy told me that they will finally put that KJ 2003 on vinyl...and the artwork will be the album cover and the sleeve for it when the vinyl comes out.

The piece is huge. But I got it up. It's >

THE RESURRECTION SHOW, 2003.
First exhibited at the 30 years of Malicious Damage Extravaganza in 2009.
This is a set of 5 prints laminated onto 5 MDF panels and varnished. The panels are 60cm square and the whole thing measures 3 metres x 60cm.

I'll try and post some pics of what it looks like in the flesh since this is the digital image Colesy has on his facebook. I promise I'll do so over the weekend.
Mike also gave me a photograph of what it looked like at the gallery show in the gallery. Appears like it was the showcase piece.
LSDMOFRO

Return to Mike Coles